Expiration Date?

/ Expiration Date? #1  

rmonio

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 4600, JD B
This may seem like a strange question - but is there an expiration date on Hydraulic Fluid or Oil? I have another 100 hours to go on my JD4600 before my next changes, but my local dealer is having their annual sale and I'm thinking that it would be good to pickup my needed supply. I figure I'll nail 100 hours before the end of summer and I thought I'd ask to see if it were an issue.

Sorry about the odd question - but sometimes you have to ask them to learn the "rules of thumb" in the world.

;)

-Bob

/ Expiration Date? #3  
Most oils are safe to store for about 5-6 years. After that seperation of the additive package can become a issue.

/ Expiration Date? #4  
Military uses about 3 years, dont think I have ever seen one fail lab test that was not due to improper storage of the container though, and the container contaminating the fluid.

/ Expiration Date?
It's just as I thought it might be - I appreciate the feedback and confirmation. Thanks!

-Bob

/ Expiration Date? #6  
Just think how long it stayed in the ground and didn't go bad. Must be all them additives that shortens it's shelf life.:D

/ Expiration Date? #7  
BTDT said:
Just think how long it stayed in the ground and didn't go bad. Must be all them additives that shortens it's shelf life.:D

It must have really something before it went bad lying in the ground for millions of years. :)

/ Expiration Date? #8  
I picked up a drum of Kendall 20w-50 that was used to change the oil in an Acetylene plant that hadn't been used in about 30 years. The drum was full, and I used it to change the oil in my old truck for years till I started using a lot of oil. I thought the rear main seal had gone out, and really didn't want to change it during the fall/winter, so I just kept adding oil to it. When I finally got under it, and checked, it was the seal around the oil cooler that goes between the block and the oil filter. What fooled me was it was spraying right into a cutout in the dust shield on the front of the transmission and then coming out the drain hole in the bottom, below the torque converter. I could have saved a bunch of oil had I gotten under it sooner.
That oil was just fine, but the drum was starting to rust thru, which was why they decided to get rid of it quickly. I was just at the right place at the right time, and happened to have a plastic drum to put it in. Not a problem at all with the oil, even after that long.
David from jax