TURBO HOUSING OF JD 2650

/ TURBO HOUSING OF JD 2650 #1  

lorraine

THE TURBO HOUSING OF THE ABOVE TRACTOR HAS OIL SO MUCH SO THAT IT HAS ENTERED THE MUFFLER AND IS BEING DISCHARGED THROUGH THE VERTICAL EXHAUST PIPE
COULD THIS BE EXCESSIVE ENGINE WEAR?
WOULD REPLACING THE TURBO CHARGER IMPROVE THE SITUATION?
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE?

/ TURBO HOUSING OF JD 2650 #2  
Could be many things from bad seals to the engine slobbering from not being worked hard enough. I'd have a dependable tractor mechanic look at it and see what they find.

/ TURBO HOUSING OF JD 2650 #3  
Turbochargers do have oil seals at each end(outside the bearings, but before the wheels) These oil seals are like little piston rings(all steel) and they can fail. I have seen turbos on my Dad's farm tractor "slobber" out a little oil around the exhaust clamp when the tractor is hot (with hot oil) and it is idling for a period of time. Example of this: Using tractor to blow haylage or silage up the 80 foot silos, then let that tractor idle while you drive to the field to get the next wagon, then if it took longer than normal to get back to the silo[over twenty minutes] then I might see oil slobber at the clamp, but never out the muffler. One way to tell if it is only a turbo problem(oil seals) and the engine is problably ok, is to remove the turbo at is 4 bolt mount flange(hot housing) and look down into the exhaust manifold itself. If it is just dry carbon and soot, then the turbo is the culprit. If it is wet and oily, then you go one step deeper, and pull the exhaust manifold and see which individual cylinder is causing the oily wetness. Now, there is the possibility that all the exh. ports are dry, but the failed turbo let some oil go back down that mounting flange area and caused it to be wet. Important Note: you can get mislead by looking at exhaust ports IF the engine has been sitting around idling for a long period of time(they may look slightly wet and actually be a normal condition because you haven't worked it hard lately and a little oil gets by the rings and the exh. valve guides). If you are uneasy about any of this, have a professional mechanic look at it. Another note: Any time one replaces a turbo, ALWAYS replace the air filter or clean the oil bath air cleaner! One should also prelube the turbo cartridge(center section) with clean engine oil down the oil inlet to insure those new turbo bearings have oil at the first intial start-up. I am not exactly sure of the JD setup, but this is works for Caterpillar engines. Hope this helps a little.

/ TURBO HOUSING OF JD 2650 #4  
If it's really engine oil and alot of it and not soot/slobber it sounds like the seals have gone out in the turbo. I HIGHLY SUGGEST YOU DO NOT RUN THIS ENGINE ANYMORE! If you start it it could suck the seal out and your engine could run away. Once a diesel engine is running and it sucks the seals out you can turn the ignition off and cut off the fuel but the engine will continue to run. It will run off of the oil it is sucking through the turbo and the RPM's will continue to increase until your engine goes bang. Not a nice sound. I have seen quite a few engines run away from bad turbo seals over the years and all had the same end result, destroyed engine. You would be supprised how far a diesel engine cylinder head and piston can fly through the air when it's spinning at over 15000 RPM's.

You can either have your turbo rebuilt by a local turbo shop or purchase a rebuilt unit. It is usually alot cheaper to have a local turbo shop rebuild them.

/ TURBO HOUSING OF JD 2650 #5  
im sure dieselpwr will agree on this one, have you checked your air filter? plugged up dirt air filter will cause some serious problems with a diesel including what you are looking at. I have replaced 3 diesel truck engines due to a 35.00 air filter that never got checked. May be a different set up on the tractor but a diesel will pull air through the least resticted hole, when that filter becomes plugged it will pull its air supply from the crankcase, this makes the air supply wet with oil and can suck the engine dry.
a run away diesel isnt fun, been there once dont ever want to go back. The only way you can stop it is shut off the air entering the engine. i used a METAL drain pan to shut the one off i was dealing with. Really sucks to finish someone elses work.

it was 70 today woohoo

/ TURBO HOUSING OF JD 2650
many thanks to all those who replied
lorraine