Can you increase FEL lifting?

/ Can you increase FEL lifting? #1  

Kendall69

Banned
Can you increase FEL lifting, by changing the cylinders, or is this crazy.

Is it the cylinders that determine the lifting capacity? I know it has a lot to do with the weight of the tractor and tipping it over, but if one is aware of that and keeps heavy weight low.

Has anyone attempted this, or is it just nuts?

Thanks for enlightening me.

/ Can you increase FEL lifting? #2  
Sure you can by increasing the hydraulic pressure, increeasing the diameter of the cylinders, or changing the cylinder mounting locations. Of course you may break the loader or a front axle!!!

Andy

/ Can you increase FEL lifting? #4  
You can increase the amount weight the loader will lift by increasing the diameter of the cylinders or by increasing the pressure. We have had members that have done both with the pressure increase being the most popular of the two options because it is much simpler and less expensive. You have to be careful when you do either one because it puts more stress on the tractor. A small increase in either will net a sizable increase in lift. Note: the larger the diameter of the cylinders, the more it will lift, but the slower it lifts.

/ Can you increase FEL lifting? #5  
Afternoon Kendall,
I think the most important thing to remember is that your tractor was designed to handle a certain loader and be capable of lifting a certain amount of weight with the components that are used in its construction ! The tractor was designed with a safety factor, so it is potentialy possible to exceed those lifting numbers by a small amount. I dont think you would find many people on here that would advise that ! ;) If you need to lift something heavier, than its probablly a good idea to be looking at a larger tractor rather than damage what you have now.

/ Can you increase FEL lifting? #6  
I would suggest attaching a pressure guage to your FEL system, Make a test guage that can be mounted at quick disconnects on FEL. Adjust pressures to max. allowed in owners manual. Sometimes the pressures are set low from factory.

/ Can you increase FEL lifting?
I understand fully the design of the safety factors, and am glad they are there, but tweaking the pressure a tad would be nice.

I only need to lift 24" - 36" box trees a few inches off the ground, and drive them short distances, no lifting 6 ton over my head or anything nuts like that.

Also I could use the lift for pulling some Palm trees out of the ground and replanting them, again just a short lift.

Are you saying this info is in my lost manual? Or is this adjustment generic at the cylinders?

Yes I am thinking of a new tractor, with more lifting, but the one I'm thinking of won't be made till June or Sept. till then I got a lot of work I can do.

/ Can you increase FEL lifting? #8  
When I checked the pressure on my cab JD 3720, the pressure was 2,300 psi. Pressure should be 2500 psi. It was really easy to adjust the psi to 2,750. The main control valve sits under the the cab and is accessible by the rear tire, without removing the tire. Loosen a lock nut, turn in the pressure screw and tighten the lock nut. (Initially, I turned the pressure screw to over 3,000 psi.) This affects the pressure on the loader and rear hydraulics. I don't know if the 3 point lift is affected. I used a $18 gylcerin filled hydraulic pressure gauge attached to a surplus piece of hydraulic hose and mounted a fitting to match a rear hydraulic coupler.

/ Can you increase FEL lifting?
radman1 - How can can I say thanks, except thanks.
I printed this out and will start digging around tomorrow, and see if I can find what you were talking about.

I can't wait.

Thanks again

/ Can you increase FEL lifting? #10  
On my L3300 the preasure the preasure is set by shimming the spring for the releif valve mounted on the trans next to the filter. The shims are cheap. The preasure is checked under the seat. Maybe the same on yours. The shims are offered in differant sizes and the change in preasure is listed for each size shim. after you measure what your preasure is you should know what sizes you need if your system is the same. Also you might want to see if you have more lift capacity with the FEL with the 3 point lowered, if so there is a rod that needs to be adjusted. Of course yours maybe completely differant.