I added a pressure gauge to the hyd. system....

/ I added a pressure gauge to the hyd. system.... #1  

montejw

Gold Member
Tractor
1980 AC 5020
My AC 5020 was supposed to have a relief valve set at 1700 psi or so. A week or so ago I paid attention to the loader control valve and determined that the relief valve in the LCV was letting go under load. I added one shim to it, now the main tractor relief valve is the one letting go under load. I added a pressure gauge to the pressure line coming into the LCV quick disconnect. The LCV does not have power beyond. The pressure gauge reads a maximum of between 1450 and 1500 psi. That should be the total maximum system pressure, correct?

Now I want to get the pressure back up to at least factory spec. My thought is to add a shim to one relief valve, then the other, and so on until the factory spec is reached. My thought of doing it this way is because I think the relief valve with the lower threshold will always be the one to let go and they both are in the loader pressure circuit.

Gaining a little more than 200 psi system pressure ought to make a difference with the loader I would think.

Monte

/ I added a pressure gauge to the hyd. system.... #2  
Monte,

Set the system pressure to the high side of the spec. Maybe as much as 100 psi more than target. It will drop over time. Set the loader relief to 50 psi less than the system pressure.

/ I added a pressure gauge to the hyd. system....
john_bud said:
Monte,

Set the system pressure to the high side of the spec. Maybe as much as 100 psi more than target. It will drop over time. Set the loader relief to 50 psi less than the system pressure.

Have a good idea on how to do that? Right now I've got a pressure gauge inline in the pressure line going to the loader control valve. I'm not sure how I can separate the 2 relief valves. Do you think it would be safe to deadhead the line to the tank/sump from the loader control valve? That would give me a direct reading of the main tractor relief valve, I think. Or put a valve inline on that line so I can slowly deadhead it to make sure the tractor relief valve is activating. Then once that's set, I can easily set the loader control valve just by running the loader or bucket against the end of the ram travel.

Thinking more,the 3pt hitch runs through the tractor relief valve, I just need to try and lift something it can't. That would give me a reading on the tractor relief valve directly. Maybe I'll try and lift our Oliver 1650. But I have to put the pressure gauge inline somewhere else than where it is now, between the pump and relief valve, not on the loader circuit.

Monte

/ I added a pressure gauge to the hyd. system.... #4  
If you have remotes, adapt your gauge to a QD and plug it in a remote by itself.. pressureize it.

I agree witht he other post. Get your tractor relief set where it should be, then set the laoder relief just a hair under it.

Soundguy

Soundguy said:
If you have remotes, adapt your gauge to a QD and plug it in a remote by itself.. pressureize it.

I agree witht he other post. Get your tractor relief set where it should be, then set the laoder relief just a hair under it.

Soundguy

No remotes. There is a plug on the tractor relief valve for installing a pressure gauge. I checked the thread and figured out it's a British Pipe Taper thread. I've got an adapter coming, BSPT MALE to NPT FEMALE. I'll plug in the gauge there and find something to heavy for the 3 pt hitch too lift, that'll give me the relief setting for the tractor relief valve. Then I'll plug the pressure gauge back into the loader circuit and that'll give me the loader control valve setting. I'll set the tractor relief valve first.

Monte

/ I added a pressure gauge to the hyd. system.... #6  
Just chain the lift arms down.. that's what my ford service manual says to do...

Soundguy

Soundguy said:
Just chain the lift arms down.. that's what my ford service manual says to do...

Soundguy

Sounds like a good idea.

Monte