Generator repair/ re-exciting windings

/ Generator repair/ re-exciting windings #11  
No... not the permanent magnets, but rather the field coils.

Soundguy

/ Generator repair/ re-exciting windings #12  
Google, [excite generator windings "light bulbs"], first hit, RE-ENERGIZING DEAD GENERATORS

Monte

Hi Monte, I tried re-exciting my generator with the light bulbs in series and I had no luck. The bulbs didn't flash at all, they just light up dimely.The generator is an Arctic Cat AC 4000 G2. Any idea what is wrong?
Thanks,
Mark

/ Generator repair/ re-exciting windings #13  
This thread is over 3 years old. I have always used the method used in the Coleman manual:

The Coleman manual shows using a 6 volt battery and touching the polarized (Battery + to generator brush +, Battery - to generator brush -) wire to the brushes.

I think I've always used a 6 volt lantern battery, but I suspect that a good 9V will also work.

Here is what I have. A friend brought over a generator for me to get running.
It was sitting for a few years so the carb needed cleaning. I got the motor running and it purrs like a kitten. When I tried the generator I found it does not produce any power. It worked perfectly last time he used it. He told me I could have it for the motor or scrap it. Before I scrap it I would like to try to get it working. I assume it needs to be re-excited. I saw this thread on Google and tried the light bulb thing and it didn,t work.

I could try the way that Coleman recommends tomorrow but I don't know the procedure. Do you have any other info on this method? Do I need to disassemble the generator to do this? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark

/ Generator repair/ re-exciting windings #14  
what about the drill method?

soundguy

/ Generator repair/ re-exciting windings #16  
I think the term is flash the generator

I ran 2 wires out from brush holders and tap them on a 12 v battery while its running

or the drill method

How to flash an AC generator

tom

Thanks guys, I'll try the drill method next. I will let you know what I find out tomorrow.
thanks,
Mark

/ Generator repair/ re-exciting windings #17  
Thanks guys, I'll try the drill method next. I will let you know what I find out tomorrow.
thanks,
Mark

Tried the drill method today. No luck. Any idea what else to look for?
Thanks,
Mark

/ Generator repair/ re-exciting windings #18  
This is the method in a nutshell. I just use a pair of short clip leads from the battery I use and touch the brushes while it's running. I usually plug a light bulb in one of the sockets at the same time to check it out. Most generators have a small inspection plate on the back that covers the brushes, something like 1" x 4". If this doesn't work, you probably have a problem in the generator.

I just tried flashing the brushes with no luck. There must be something else wrong inside the generator. It's funny because it worked when they put it away. Oh well I guess i will pull the motor and scrap the rest.
Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.
Thanks again,
Mark

/ Generator repair/ re-exciting windings #19  
I just tried flashing the brushes with no luck. There must be something else wrong inside the generator. It's funny because it worked when they put it away. Oh well I guess i will pull the motor and scrap the rest.
Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.
Thanks again,
Mark

I've got a generator that I only use for power outages, so it is 20 years old but has very few hours. It quit putting out full power so I took it in and it needed a new capacitor. The repair guy said electronics parts have a finite life in years, so just sitting can make them go bad. My brother, who is an electrical engineer, said that all the military stuff his company makes has special protective coverings on electronic components to overcome this problem.

Long story short, maybe you just need an inexpensive component.

/ Generator repair/ re-exciting windings #20  
ditto that.. I'd pull it apart for a looksee..

soundguy