Generator repair/ re-exciting windings

/ Generator repair/ re-exciting windings #21  
It could just be a blown fuse on the voltage regulator or something like that.

We occasionally have to re-flash the field on the diesel generators we have at work, if they've sat for a while without running. Normally anything less than a year and they're fine.

Sean

/ Generator repair/ re-exciting windings #22  
I'm glad i have a brushless. have been able to let it set years at a time with no problems..

soundguy

/ Generator repair/ re-exciting windings #23  
I'm glad i have a brushless. have been able to let it set years at a time with no problems..

soundguy

the brushless have the same thing in rotating field it uses the slip in the rotor to make the field and in my opinion harder to repair and work on becaus the rectifier and caps are spinning with the rotor

tom

/ Generator repair/ re-exciting windings #24  
have yet to have a problem with the 2 I use / have access to. I might be lucky.. but I do like the good results..

soundguy

/ Generator repair/ re-exciting windings #25  
I've got a generator that I only use for power outages, so it is 20 years old but has very few hours. It quit putting out full power so I took it in and it needed a new capacitor. The repair guy said electronics parts have a finite life in years, so just sitting can make them go bad. My brother, who is an electrical engineer, said that all the military stuff his company makes has special protective coverings on electronic components to overcome this problem.

Long story short, maybe you just need an inexpensive component.

You're right, maybe it issomething cheapand easy to fix. I will look into it.

/ Generator repair/ re-exciting windings #26  
can't hurt... I just fixed a buddies lcd monitor with 3$ of capacitors from radio shack.. 4 lil ones in the PS module were completely shutting the unit down..

soundguy

/ Generator repair/ re-exciting windings #27  
My circa 1972 whole house electronic air cleaner quit working a few years ago, but the owners manual had a schematic. I ordered all new diodes and capacitors from Mouser for about $50 and it has been working like a champ ever since. As long as you get the voltage and current specs right, it ain't rocket science. Now stuff with integrated chips are a different story, at least for me.

/ Generator repair/ re-exciting windings #28  
My circa 1972 whole house electronic air cleaner quit working a few years ago, but the owners manual had a schematic. I ordered all new diodes and capacitors from Mouser for about $50 and it has been working like a champ ever since. As long as you get the voltage and current specs right, it ain't rocket science. Now stuff with integrated chips are a different story, at least for me.

My problem is that I have no manual or schematic. I know everything about the motor side, but not much about the electrical end.
Anybody have a schematic for an Arctic Cat AC 4000G2? I know it is a Suzuki motor but I don't know who makes the generator part.

/ Generator repair/ re-exciting windings #29  
My problem is that I have no manual or schematic. I know everything about the motor side, but not much about the electrical end.
Anybody have a schematic for an Arctic Cat AC 4000G2? I know it is a Suzuki motor but I don't know who makes the generator part.

RepairManual.com - Official Arctic Cat 4000G2 Generator Shop Manual - 2255-802

$37 for a manual. I'd take it apart first and see if there are any components that can be tested - like capacitors, diodes, etc.

/ Generator repair/ re-exciting windings #30  
ditto that. I've found many problems by just simply taking things apart and looking for obvious issues... like broke wires.. blown fuses, burnt parts of the PCB.. etc.

soundguy