Disk Harrow Disk Size

/ Disk Harrow Disk Size #1  

Pooh_Bear

Platinum Member
Tractor
Early 1949 Ford 8N
I recently bought an old 5foot 3pt disk harrow.
The front and rear gangs are both notched disks.
The front disks are wore out bad. Notches are almost worn off.
The rear disks look to be in good shape. But what size are they.
I measured one today and this is what I got.

harrowdisk.jpg

So what size disk is it? I need 8 disks for the front.

Still working on finding out what brand it is.
Can't read the tag very well.

Thanks.

Pooh Bear

/ Disk Harrow Disk Size #2  
You want 18" disc blades. TSC will (should) have them. What size axles? (They'll probably have 2 choices) Square or round? I just bought a few. Got 'em through Agri-Supply. They shipped 'em right to my door for less than I could buy locally.

This picture is getting a lot of press here lately.

Attachments

• mf25X4.JPG
    mf25X4.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 586
  • mf25X2.JPG
    mf25X2.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 774
   / Disk Harrow Disk Size #3  
Farmwithjunk my neighbor has a MF disc just like that, and I've used it alot of time sbehind my dads 135 with the Z145 engine, prolly gives your 150 about the same workout in good soil. Do those front notched blades really help that much? His has full round blades and it does a wonderful job in our good ole Southern IL clay.

Speaking of your 150, wanna sell it yet?

/ Disk Harrow Disk Size #4  
Birdhunter1 said:
Farmwithjunk my neighbor has a MF disc just like that, and I've used it alot of time sbehind my dads 135 with the Z145 engine, prolly gives your 150 about the same workout in good soil. Do those front notched blades really help that much? His has full round blades and it does a wonderful job in our good ole Southern IL clay.

Speaking of your 150, wanna sell it yet?

The 150 is a Perkins diesel that's turned up a bit. (47pto) I used the disc in the 8'-10" trim. The 150 handled it well. I need to haul it from time to time and the 7'-6" width is "legal".

Notched blades do a little better digging in sod or shreding stalks. No advantage in plowed ground.

The ol' 150 turns 36 in a couple months. I think I've grown accustom to it being here. Not ready to sell just yet. (I wrote a check for $3775 for the 150 in 1971. I believe I've got my money's worth)

/ Disk Harrow Disk Size #5  
get the disks the same size as the not worn backs...

/ Disk Harrow Disk Size
The "not worn" back disks are what I measured.
I believe the center hole is square, not round like I drew.
It was just easier to draw a round hole.

The thing works pretty good as it is.
I bottom plowed the garden and I really tear up the dirt when I plow.
I ran thru it a few times with the harrow and chopped it up good.

Other than being kinda heavy for my 8N to pick up it pulls it really well.

Thanks.

Pooh Bear

/ Disk Harrow Disk Size #7  
You'll find there are several axle hole sizes. One is sort of a "star of David" (only with 8 points instead of 6) shape that fits 7/8" round or 1" square. Also, you'll find 1-1/4" square holes. (And some bigger sized holes too) They do need to fit the axle fairly close, even when tightened, the disc blade will move some. Too big of an axle hole allows them to "wallow" around, wearing into the axle.

Last edited: