Bush Hog Deck Repair

/ Bush Hog Deck Repair #1  

F350

Silver Member
Tractor
Red
My 5ft cutter deck has a few holes in it and I am thinking about re-skinning
the damaged areas with 1/8 steel plate. The question is....do I weld the new sheet over the top of damaged areas or not???

Is there any issue with layering the sheets in this manner???

Thanks in advance.

/ Bush Hog Deck Repair
I forgot to mention that it's the left and right outer sides need the repair. The
deck is nice and flat and has rolled edges. I planned the cut the 1/8" sheet to match the sides of the deck and have the new sheet come out to about a 1/2" from the outer edge of the cutter and weld in place.

Does that sound like decent way to repair it??

/ Bush Hog Deck Repair #3  
I assume these are rust holes? I don't see a problem welding patches over top of holes, you just need clean solid metal to weld to. Then I'd use caulk to seal the inside in between the hole in the deck and the patch welded on top, prime it, and seal it inside and out with a good implement paint. You just don't want moisture getting in between the deck and the patch. This will more than likely happen from the inside of the deck.

Or cut it out, fit a patch, weld it in ( I use magnets to hold the patch flush while I'm tacking it in) grind the exposed side flush, then prime and seal with a good implement paint.

/ Bush Hog Deck Repair #4  
I just seen your second post, on the side walls, is it rust ? keeping water from getting in between the two walls will be the problem as that metal will bare and exposed. on second thought I don't see caulk holding up to that very long.

/ Bush Hog Deck Repair #5  
Yes you can do that but it will rust out sooner because you will create a water trap.

/ Bush Hog Deck Repair
Let me clarify, the areas that need repair are on the top surface of the deck
outside of the reinforcement beams (front to rear) that are on either side of the gearbox. The holes are probably 6" x 4" in diameter. There is a piece of channel welded on the upper surface of the deck, from the reinforcement beams to the outside edges of the deck. It appears that water and dirt puddling next to these channels caused rust through.

There doesn't seem to be any(?) posts on the subject of repairing Bush Hog Decks. Other people have had to have done this sort of thing.

I am concerned about creating a water/particle trap with overlaying a patch on the existing skin, but that seemed like the simplist way to fix the problem. I really need advice on the right way to effectivly repair the deck for the long run.

Thanks,

/ Bush Hog Deck Repair #7  
People, patch, reinforce, repair cutters as required,
the best way, as I see it (without actually seeing it) would be to cut it out and weld a new piece in. then seal it up good on both the inside and out.
Welding a patch over top will work, or maybe from underneath might be better??. or welding both sides ,around the square patch on top and around the hole from the inside.
sealing it up well so no moisture can get inbetween the patch and the original deck will dictate if it last 3-4 years or ten years.
I'd say that all the rust on my rotary is on the underside for the moisture from cutting and the rust on the outside is in the scraped and dented, chipped paint areas.

/ Bush Hog Deck Repair #8  
hockeyhead said:
People, patch, reinforce, repair cutters as required,
the best way, as I see it (without actually seeing it) would be to cut it out and weld a new piece in. then seal it up good on both the inside and out.
Welding a patch over top will work, or maybe from underneath might be better??. or welding both sides ,around the square patch on top and around the hole from the inside.
sealing it up well so no moisture can get inbetween the patch and the original deck will dictate if it last 3-4 years or ten years.
I'd say that all the rust on my rotary is on the underside for the moisture from cutting and the rust on the outside is in the scraped and dented, chipped paint areas.

I'd suspect that for the sake of the mowers performance, you might be better welding the patch from the under-side. That will create a smooth surface where clippings won't start to build up. You could always patch both sides if that doesn't add too much weight.

/ Bush Hog Deck Repair
Thanks for the help. This looks like a two brother-in-law repair job.

One has a Welder.....

Another knows how to weld.....

I Really need to learn to weld myself...

/ Bush Hog Deck Repair #10  
Also doing it yourself gives you the capability of doing it on your time and the satisfaction that you did it.