How do you install the PTO shield on the PTO shaft?

/ How do you install the PTO shield on the PTO shaft? #1  

Stoner

Bronze Member
I did a search on the forum to find how to install the plastic PTO shield on my KingKutter tiller. I did not find anything that was on point. I only have to reinstall the end of the PTO shield that attaches to the implement end. KingKutter sent me a replacement PTO shield. Eurocardan makes the PTO shaft and shield. I slid the plastic shield on the shaft but cannot figure out how it attaches to the shaft. Can anyone lead me step by stem on how to install the plastic shield on the PTO shaft correctly? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

/ How do you install the PTO shield on the PTO shaft? #2  
The manual that came with your tiller should have had an eurocardan instruction booklet to show you haw the cone and shaft of the plastic sheath attach to the plastic bearing on the yoke end of the pto shaft.

Probably you can just look at it and figure it out.. My old KK had push/twist tabs.. i believe my newest EC shaft had cam/lock screw heads.

Soundguy

/ How do you install the PTO shield on the PTO shaft?
The manual that came with the KingKutter does that contain that information. It is a very basic manual. I wish it was a little mored detailed.

/ How do you install the PTO shield on the PTO shaft? #4  
I'll bet that if you posted a picture(s) of your PTO shield, someone will be able to tell you what you need to do.

Thanks, I will attempt to do that at lunchtime today.

I think I have figured it out. I have attached a few photos for others that need a little help. I took the plastic shield off and remove the white bushing with the tabs on the implement end of the shaft.

P1070564.jpg

You will note in the photo below the yellow bell housing of the PTO shield has oblong holes as shown in the photo. Above the housing you can see the white bushing that has the tabs the need to mate with the oblong holes.

P1070572.jpg

P1070580.jpg

You will note on the inside of the yellow bell housing there are grooves in the yellow plastic; the tabs on the white bushing slid into those grooves. The yellow housing is actually two pieces. You may have to rotate the yellow bell housing to match up the oblong holes and the grooves inside the yellow bell housing. You may have to use a mallet to tap the white bushing so the white tabs slid into the oblong holes. After you have done this you can put the PTO shaft and shield back on the tractor and reattach the chains on the shield.

P1070573.jpg

P1070577.jpg

Hope this helps. Stoner

/ How do you install the PTO shield on the PTO shaft? #7  
Yep, the tabbed style are like what is on my older KK brush mower.

And they can be a pain to slide and line up when your hands are greasy too!

Great pics.

Soundguy

/ How do you install the PTO shield on the PTO shaft? #8  
I had the same exact shield on my KK 6' tiller. After 4 seasons of abuse, it started to fall apart. That called for a trip to TSC. That's when I found out that some of the newer KK tillers use a different brand of pto shaft now. (Comer) No Eurocardan replacement parts to fix my old shield. A quick look through their stock led me to a different "generic" shield, complete with all the mounting hardware. In the end, that route was cheaper than buying replacement parts to repair the old shield. The new one was already assembled. That's better than instructions! It took all of 10 minutes to install. While it was apart, I replaced the slip clutch friction disc's that also had seen enough torture to warrant replacing.

/ How do you install the PTO shield on the PTO shaft? #9  
   / How do you install the PTO shield on the PTO shaft? #10  
G'day show us a pic of it and we may be able to help you. And for those interested in fitting new covers go to the bare co site and have a look at their movie on pto shafts their lever release system is a doddle and great when it comes time to grease

Jon