Taylor Way harrow Repair.....

/ Taylor Way harrow Repair..... #1  

scott_vt

Tractor
1986 MF 1040, 1942 Farmall A, 1949 Farmall Super A
Evenin Guys,
I have been thinking about how to repair a 7'disc harrow that the farmer down the road gave to me last year. The harrow was originally fabricated with rectangular tubing that through the years rusted and cracked. The piece thats in real bad shape is the center support that changes the angle of the front gangs using a 3/4'" pin.

I fabricated a new bar out of solid stock where I work in Ct and brought it to my house in Vt. Of course when I got there I realized that the repair is going to be a bit more extensive. This is something that I can do a little bit everytime I go up to the Vt home. Something tells me it may take a few trips !;)

Attachments

• HarrowRepair.jpg
    HarrowRepair.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 780
   / Taylor Way harrow Repair..... #2  
scott_vt said:
Evenin Guys,
I have been thinking about how to repair a 7'disc harrow that the farmer down the road gave to me last year. The harrow was originally fabricated with rectangular tubing that through the years rusted and cracked. The piece thats in real bad shape is the center support that changes the angle of the front gangs using a 3/4'" pin.

I fabricated a new bar out of solid stock where I work in Ct and brought it to my house in Vt. Of course when I got there I realized that the repair is going to be a bit more extensive. This is something that I can do a little bit everytime I go up to the Vt home. Something tells me it may take a few trips !;)

Howdy Scott!

You could fab every part on the disc, 1 at a time, then build a NEW one.;)

That's one of those jobs where "removal" is 10 times the work of "re-install". That's a good disc. Well worth the effort to repair correctly. I finally have my disc ready to clean up and paint. Then I had an attack of "I DON'T WANT TO PAINT ANYTHING ELSE". I do believe it's turned into a project for next winter. (and it's just barely April)

Oh well, who's in a hurry anyway.....

/ Taylor Way harrow Repair.....
Mornin Bill,
Yep, this job will take awhile ! :) Next time up I will try and cut the old support out with my right angle disk grinder. The problem is that you can see on the back side there is a support strap welded in that goes underneath the back side that needs to come out first. I also noticed that the piece on the back side of the harrow for the rear gangs is in bad shape also, so guess what ! ;) To top it all off, I dont have a welder out here in the middle of nowhere so I gotta go plead my case to my farmer buddy Neil up the road and ask for yet another favor ! :)

Should have it ready for next season ! ;)

BTW, I know what your sayin about the paint thing !

/ Taylor Way harrow Repair..... #4  
Your on the right track...bring plenty of cut off wheels and grinding wheels also a big hammer:)

/ Taylor Way harrow Repair..... #5  
I'm missing something here. Your using a solid plate, 1-1/2 maybe 2" . That's serious iron to weld. You do have a welder? I would think if you have a welder to weld that thick of steel you would also have a oxy-acetalyne outfit also. I'm not trying to be negative here but you are going to need some proper tools to accomplish this. A grinder is a good start but there will be more to it than that. bjr

bjr said:
I'm missing something here. Your using a solid plate, 1-1/2 maybe 2" . That's serious iron to weld. You do have a welder? I would think if you have a welder to weld that thick of steel you would also have a oxy-acetalyne outfit also. I'm not trying to be negative here but you are going to need some proper tools to accomplish this. A grinder is a good start but there will be more to it than that. bjr

Mornin bjr,
Your absolutely right ! I dont have a welder up there but the farmer up the road does ! ;) I will probablly drill and tap the new piece and drill clearance holes through the angle iron to get this thing positioned and transported up the road to my neighbors. Then he will weld it for me. He has an old tombstone welder that should work.

/ Taylor Way harrow Repair..... #7  
Don't overlook the usefullness of a big honking welder and a chamfer rod when oxy-acet is not available..

Soundguy

/ Taylor Way harrow Repair..... #8  
Soundguy said:
Don't overlook the usefullness of a big honking welder and a chamfer rod when oxy-acet is not available..

Soundguy

"big honking" being a technical term for LOTS OF AMPS! :D

/ Taylor Way harrow Repair..... #9  
You do not want to air-arc it out?:rolleyes: That is somewhat like the "big honking welder" only with finesse.

Mike

Soundguy said:

Soundguy

Mornin Chris,
When we do weld this thing up all the lights in East Wells should be gettin pretty dim !;) :)