Wax used on rusted parts!!!!!

/ Wax used on rusted parts!!!!! #1  
I have been fighting with my bush hog for the last 4 or so days, The nut on the stump jumper was frozen or rusted on so I cut it and it came off. Then the stump jumper was stuck on. After prying and heating and pounding and shooting penetrating oil on it, It was still stuck! Oh yea a few @#%$$#$ words. I did another search on here and found out about using heat an wax,
Dam, 2 hits with my mini sledge hammer and it fell right off, Almost hit me. I talked to 2 buddies of mine that all together we have been wenching for over 90 years and have never heard on using wax. We will have a candle or 2 in our boxes now.

:D :D P.S. THANKS FOR THE GREAT FORUM HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D

/ Wax used on rusted parts!!!!! #2  
Your welcome. :D I have mentioned that trick a few times here. I learned it from a old mechanic I worked with many years ago. Been using it ever since. It's amazing what a little wax will do isn't it.

/ Wax used on rusted parts!!!!! #3  
Dieselpower,
I must have missed the original post. do you jsut drip hot candle wax on a rusty screw? is that how it works?

/ Wax used on rusted parts!!!!! #4  
Heat the stuck nut, bolt or part up slightly with a tourch. It does not need to be glowing hot, just hot enough to melt the wax, in fact if you heat it to much the wax catch's fire. Then touch your candle or bar of canning wax (that's what I use) to the part. The wax is wicked into the threads and crevices and lubricates the part. It not only works on rusted parts but on oxodized aluminum also. The first time I used this trick it was on a bolt stuck in a water pump. The aluminum had oxodized and siezed the bolt. Worked like a charm.

I buy box's of 4 bars of canning wax at the grocery store. I have a bar in every tool box and garage I have. I even have a bar in the tool box on my pick up truck.

/ Wax used on rusted parts!!!!! #5  
THANK! I am glad I asked for clarificaion. By canning wax I am sure oyu msut mean tht wax that you put on top of jams and jellies when you do home canning right? i also cna' tthink ft he name of that wax right noe.

but anyway MANY thanks for this tip!

/ Wax used on rusted parts!!!!! #6  
I think its called "paraffin" wax.Thats what my mother used to call it.
digger2

/ Wax used on rusted parts!!!!! #7  
That's the stuff, paraffin canning wax. The kind you use on jams and jellies. Nothing wrong with candles though. If you get the scented ones your job will smell better. :D

/ Wax used on rusted parts!!!!! #8  
DieselPower said:
That's the stuff, paraffin canning wax. The kind you use on jams and jellies. Nothing wrong with candles though. If you get the scented ones your job will smell better. :D

yall should get your wax from beekeepers. Now some could use the extra business with CCD going around.

/ Wax used on rusted parts!!!!! #9  
Sounds like an interesting technique. I cannot wait to find a reason to try it.

I am not disputing here - so no offense. OK? I am just thinking through the method trying to understand its advantage. The melting wax would wick up the threads like solder in a sweated joint, right? But why would that work better than the old standby penetrating oil? Any ideas?

/ Wax used on rusted parts!!!!! #10  
that is an interesting technique. I will have to remember that the next time I have trouble.

murph