What do you call this

/ What do you call this #1  

gemini5362

Veteran Member
Tractor
Montana 4940C
The bar of steel that fits between the arms on your three point hitch it has holes all accross that bar. I have always heard them called draw bars but technically I believe the draw bar is the bar that goes underneath the frame and comes out and you hook chains, trailers etc to it. what is the other bar called ?

/ What do you call this #2  
   / What do you call this #3  
The bar of steel that fits between the arms on your three point hitch it has holes all accross that bar.

Yep, that's a DRAWBAR.

technically I believe the draw bar is the bar that goes underneath the frame and comes out and you hook chains, trailers etc to it.

And that one's called a SWINGING DRAWBAR.

Confusin', ain't it? Having two drawbars.:rolleyes: But that's the way it is. The "swinging drawbar" can be swung to one side or the other and pinned place on some, but not all, tractors.

/ What do you call this #4  
We always called the bar under the tractor the drawbar or belly drawbar. The one that goes goes between the lift arms we always called an 11 hole drawbar. Most of the books that I have seen just call them both drawbars. There are fewer and fewer tractor that actually have a swing drawbar each year. Most of them are stationary without the option of right or left movement.

/ What do you call this #5  
JerryG said:
We always called the bar under the tractor the drawbar or belly drawbar. The one that goes goes between the lift arms we always called an 11 hole drawbar. Most of the books that I have seen just call them both drawbars. There are fewer and fewer tractor that actually have a swing drawbar each year. Most of them are stationary without the option of right or left movement.[/QUOTE

Jerry - Can you tell me what the swinging drawbar would be used for when it is positioned at an angle other than perpendicular to the tractor? I know this is probably a dumb question, but would appreciate knowing.

/ What do you call this #6  
1bush2hog said:
JerryG said:
We always called the bar under the tractor the drawbar or belly drawbar. The one that goes goes between the lift arms we always called an 11 hole drawbar. Most of the books that I have seen just call them both drawbars. There are fewer and fewer tractor that actually have a swing drawbar each year. Most of them are stationary without the option of right or left movement.[/QUOTE

Jerry - Can you tell me what the swinging drawbar would be used for when it is positioned at an angle other than perpendicular to the tractor? I know this is probably a dumb question, but would appreciate knowing.

That function was used for a multitude of things back years ago. We used it to better position our hay baler, pull type corn picker, sileage wagon, pull type plow, etc.

/ What do you call this #7  
ovrszd said:
1bush2hog said:
That function was used for a multitude of things back years ago. We used it to better position our hay baler, pull type corn picker, sileage wagon, pull type plow, etc.

Another reason for being able to shift the drawbar to one side is to clear the front coulter on a mounted plow.

Those 3-point drawbars come in 7-hole, 9-hole, and 11-hole versions. I've still got the original 9-holer that came new with my MF150.

/ What do you call this #8  
Farmwithjunk said:
ovrszd said:
Another reason for being able to shift the drawbar to one side is to clear the front coulter on a mounted plow.

i had to do extactly that when i hooked up my plow 2 bottom plow for the first time... it was hitting the belly draw bar, then i noticed, hey if i pull these pins it would shift to the side and would clear :D

/ What do you call this #9  
Folks, That BAR that has all the holes in it that hooks between the lower draft arms IS called a TOOL BAR. The draw bar is the thing that you connect in the center of the tractor low under the rear end that you can use as a toe bar, Too make it a swinging draw bar you remove the pins to either side of where the draw bar connects, NOT all tractors have this option. Wish I had a mechanical drawing program to illustrate it.

David