JD 750 Won't Start

/ JD 750 Won't Start #1  

Mark_in_IN

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere M 1951, John Deere LA 1941
JD 750 Won\'t Start

This morning I went out and started the tractor, started fine. I then moved the tractor in front of the trailer, turned off tractor. Hitched up my trailer, and now my tractor won't start. I checked to make sure pto was off & everything in nutural. All I hear when I turn the key is one click.
I need help.
thanks in advance

Mark

/ JD 750 Won't Start #2  
Re: JD 750 Won\'t Start

Mark,

Check the battery for corrosion on the positive terminal.

Buck

/ JD 750 Won't Start #3  

Try loosening, removing, cleaning, and re-connecting the battery cables. Sounds like that sneaky, pesky corrosion of the cable connectors. Quick and dirty fix is to grab the cable and try to rotate it, and see if the tractor starts then.
And I see that buck has the same idea, and is faster on the draw than I. Hoping this solves your problem.

/ JD 750 Won't Start #4  

If the battery and cables check out ok, try looking for a bad or loose neutral or PTO safety switch, I think there is also a safety switch under your seat as well, from there see if you can jump the starter, if so then the problem lies between the starter and the ignition switch, could be soloenoid or bad switch as possiblities.

/ JD 750 Won't Start

I checked the positive terminal, nothing changed after i cleaned it.

mark

/ JD 750 Won't Start

I don't know alot about mechanics, So how do you determine if saftey switches are o.k.? and do you jump the starter?

Mark

/ JD 750 Won't Start #7  

First check to see htat there are no loose wires on the switches. Don't knoiw where they are on your tractor, on mine there is one for neutral, PTO and another under the seat. JD switches will not work if wires are off, I am assuming yours works the same way, jump the wires on each switch seperately and see if tractor starts, if it does you have found a bad switch. to jump the starter, you will usually find two small terminals on the solenoid that is on top of the starter, if you have the ignition switch on and you jump these two terminals, the starter will engage and the engine should start. Just like jump starting the old 56 Ford.

/ JD 750 Won't Start #8  

Is the battery charged up? If the battery is ok then maybe tap the starter gently. Then maybe try booster cables to starter or use a meter to see if any power is getting to starter. I'm saying this as you hear a click when the key is turned. That indicates to me not enough power to turn starter or the starter or solenoid isn't working properly.

Egon

/ JD 750 Won't Start #9  

When you hooked up your trailer, did it include a plug for the trailer lighting? If so, maybe this shorted out your electrical system?

/ JD 750 Won't Start

Okay everyone don't laugh. All that happened was operator error. One of the times I got off of the tractor I must have hit the pto on so the tractor didn't start because of the safety switch.

I was sure I checked that.

DOH, And then I now have my trailer stuck FULL of feildstone.
I got the tractor out and I will have to unload the trailer tomorrow.

Mark