Help With Bottle Jack Repair

/ Help With Bottle Jack Repair #1  

Nickahawk

Tractor
Kubota '2007 L4400, JD '1973 1020 3 cly gas/w FEL
Can anyone help me find a good source for information on repairing bottle jacks. I have about 4 or 5 that have been setting in the corner of my shed that I would like to repair myself. With new jack prices pretty reasonable, it's not cost effective to pay someone to repair them.

/ Help With Bottle Jack Repair #2  
I wonder the same thing, most of my oldies wont go up or pick up a load, I have lots of light boat anchors:D

/ Help With Bottle Jack Repair #3  
I wonder if my dad remembers where he got his parts. Many years ago, like 20 years ago he use to repair them as a side. He use to spend hours in the basement at night.

It seems to me though that with time the jack prices dropped down and by time he bought the kits, they came as a complete kit with all balls and gaskets, added freight, markup and labor most could buy a jack cheaper. And I think that is why he got out of it. It is a throw away country.

I will ask him next time on the phone.

murph

/ Help With Bottle Jack Repair #4  
Ditto... hard to come out buying parts.. when you can buy a new jack cheaper and easier..

soundguy

/ Help With Bottle Jack Repair #5  
Talked to my dad and he first started out by buying them out in New York. Then found a place in Mpls which he can't remember the name of it. He said his reason for getting out it was the price of new versus repair and the repair companies made you order larger orders. In other words you have to buy 25 kits at a time. Dad just said heck with it.

But if you do a search on Google for "hydraulic jack repair kits" it will bring up all kinds of places.

murph

/ Help With Bottle Jack Repair #6  
My pore old 18 yr old 2.5 ton sears floor jack gave out a couple of weeks ago. Just would not support a load, O ring gave out I suppose.
I still had the origional manual, pulled it out to look up parts. The only part part of the hydraulics that was replaceable per sears was the entire "power unit" :(

Guess I will pick up another one at HF this weekend over at Roanoake ....

I have a couple of 6 ton bottle jacks that I got for $10 each. Not really feasable to repair when they quit. Now if I had a Walker jack I would repair it.

/ Help With Bottle Jack Repair #7  
i was in the market for a floor jack not to long ago..... there used to be a hydrolic shop in town that all they delt with was jacks, bottle, floor, etc. selling new ones, rebuilding and serviceing old ones.....

my point you ask....

when we went back to get a new and or used jack, they had closed up shop. when we inquired about them, we found out "new jacks are so cheep that people dont rebuild them anymore... they are disposable"

so perhaps you could take it apart yourself, but finding a place were you could walk in put parts on a counter say i need one of theses.... isnt going to happen anymore :(

/ Help With Bottle Jack Repair #8  
My floor jack gave out. I went and looked at new ones. A good one, like mine, is $250... Not sure how that is disposeable...

Bummer... Was hoping to see source for the o rings which is all that has failed...

Carl

/ Help With Bottle Jack Repair #9  
source for 0-rings... shure granger, MSR.... Harbor freight o-ring assormet, big box hardware store....

02901.gif

/ Help With Bottle Jack Repair #10  
woodlandfarms said:
My floor jack gave out. I went and looked at new ones. A good one, like mine, is $250... Not sure how that is disposeable...

Bummer... Was hoping to see source for the o rings which is all that has failed...

Carl

Do the search on Google for "Repairing Hydraulic Jacks" and you will find all kinds of places that repair them yet. You might even find one that is close to you to save shipping charges. Only in the case of repairing a floor jack would I repair one. The bottles themselves are cheap.

murph