Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota '2007 L4400, JD '1975 1020 3 cly gas/w FEL

Default Help With Bottle Jack Repair

Can anyone help me find a good source for information on repairing bottle jacks. I have about 4 or 5 that have been setting in the corner of my shed that I would like to repair myself. With new jack prices pretty reasonable, it's not cost effective to pay someone to repair them.

Elite Member
    Rest in Peace
    Tractor
    Case 1845 C Skid steer

Default Re: Help With Bottle Jack Repair

I wonder the same thing, most of my oldies wont go up or pick up a load, I have lots of light boat anchors
    Click here for my current weather

Case 1845C with dirt bucket, forks, 3 point quick hitch on the front, 30'. boom, 6 & 1/2 foot disc harrow, 5 foot Howse RC, root and tree bucket and Grouser tracks and a Ford F-550 pick up,7.3 Turbo with Auto and a Crosley 25' X 8'.6" X 14 K D/O trailer.
    PDF files don't like me !!
    Making a F-550 Pick Up thread
    My Gallery
    My other Gallery
    Revielle video here
    Dear Eliot

Tractor
    New Holland TC29D, 2001

I wonder if my dad remembers where he got his parts. Many years ago, like 20 years ago he use to repair them as a side. He use to spend hours in the basement at night.

It seems to me though that with time the jack prices dropped down and by time he bought the kits, they came as a complete kit with all balls and gaskets, added freight, markup and labor most could buy a jack cheaper. And I think that is why he got out of it. It is a throw away country.

I will ask him next time on the phone.

murph
    "This country was founded and built by people with great dreams and the courage to take great risks."

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Ditto... hard to come out buying parts.. when you can buy a new jack cheaper and easier..

soundguy

Tractor
    New Holland TC29D, 2001

Talked to my dad and he first started out by buying them out in New York. Then found a place in Mpls which he can't remember the name of it. He said his reason for getting out it was the price of new versus repair and the repair companies made you order larger orders. In other words you have to buy 25 kits at a time. Dad just said heck with it.

But if you do a search on Google for "hydraulic jack repair kits" it will bring up all kinds of places.

murph
    "This country was founded and built by people with great dreams and the courage to take great risks."

Elite Member
    Tractor
    IH 2444

My pore old 18 yr old 2.5 ton sears floor jack gave out a couple of weeks ago. Just would not support a load, O ring gave out I suppose.
    I still had the origional manual, pulled it out to look up parts. The only part part of the hydraulics that was replaceable per sears was the entire "power unit"

Guess I will pick up another one at HF this weekend over at Roanoake ....

I have a couple of 6 ton bottle jacks that I got for $10 each. Not really feasable to repair when they quit. Now if I had a Walker jack I would repair it.

Tractor
    New holland TC(33)

i was in the market for a floor jack not to long ago..... there used to be a hydrolic shop in town that all they delt with was jacks, bottle, floor, etc. selling new ones, rebuilding and serviceing old ones.....

my point you ask....

when we went back to get a new and or used jack, they had closed up shop. when we inquired about them, we found out "new jacks are so cheep that people dont rebuild them anymore... they are disposable"

so perhaps you could take it apart yourself, but finding a place were you could walk in put parts on a counter say i need one of theses.... isnt going to happen anymore
    Steve - TC33D 4x4 FEL, dual rear remotes with toys

Tractor
    PowerTrac 1850

My floor jack gave out. I went and looked at new ones. A good one, like mine, is $250... Not sure how that is disposeable...

Bummer... Was hoping to see source for the o rings which is all that has failed...

Carl
    Power-Trac 1850, grapple, hoe, 90" mower, 72" box blade

Tractor
    New holland TC(33)

source for 0-rings... shure granger, MSR.... Harbor freight o-ring assormet, big box hardware store....

Steve - TC33D 4x4 FEL, dual rear remotes with toys

Tractor
    New Holland TC29D, 2001

Quote Originally Posted by woodlandfarms
    My floor jack gave out. I went and looked at new ones. A good one, like mine, is $250... Not sure how that is disposeable...

Bummer... Was hoping to see source for the o rings which is all that has failed...

Carl

Do the search on Google for "Repairing Hydraulic Jacks" and you will find all kinds of places that repair them yet. You might even find one that is close to you to save shipping charges. Only in the case of repairing a floor jack would I repair one. The bottles themselves are cheap.

murph

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast