Measuring dirt

/ Measuring dirt #1  

Pks

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3700SU, Cub Cadet 1430, Hustler Super-Z 66in, Vermeer 1250
Is a yard of dirt measured: 3 ft x 3 ft x 3 ft=27 cu ft?

/ Measuring dirt #2  
Yes. I love <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.joshmadison.com/software/convert/download.asp>this program</A>. Really helps when converting Celcius to Farenheit so you guys can understand what I'm talking about.

/ Measuring dirt #3  
It is a <font color=red>cubic <font color=black>yard.

/ Measuring dirt
beenthere,

Do I understand correctly; you are saying 27 cubic feet is 1 cubic yard?

If so, then it makes sense since that's what it was in Calculus class. Does the dirt hauling industry have a different value for how much material is in a 1 yard bucket or a 7 yard cement mixer?

/ Measuring dirt #5  
when you order dirt or concrete by the yard they will give you cubic yards.

more and more gravel pits are selling by the ton now so let them do the conversion.

when I measure an area I need it for I assume it is packed but when they scoop it up from a pile it is loose so I'll added 10% for air unless it is landscape stone or other material that wont pack down.

/ Measuring dirt #6  
Not that I know of, a yard is a yard is a yard. Strictly a volume measurement which is 27 cubic feet. Hard part sometimes is loader buckets are rated in yards by two methods, one with the load "struck" ie leveled off, and one heaped. Well obviously neither is going to be an exact measurement but should get you pretty close. PS concrete is the same - 1 yard is 3ft x 3ft x3ft

/ Measuring dirt #7  
<font color=blue>a yard is a yard is a yard<font color=black>

but it is 3 feet or 9 square feet or 27 cubic feet depending if one is talking length, area, or volume

True, that when talking aout a bucket full, or a truck load or a load of concrete, then 'yard' is more of a nickname for volume, as that is the only thing that makes sense.

/ Measuring dirt #8  
I looked up the weight of some different types of "dirt".

Loose earth = 75 lbs./ cubic foot or 2025 lbs./ cubic yard
Dry sand = 100 lbs./cubic foot or 2700 lbs./ cubic yard
Wet sand = 125 lbs./cubic foot or 3375 lbs./ cubic yard
Gravel = 109 lbs./cubic foot or 2943 lbs./ cubic yard
Granite = 168 lbs./ cubic foot or 4536 lbs./ cubic yard

Randy

/ Measuring dirt #9  
isn't a yard the thing in front and behind my house............

/ Measuring dirt #10  
Something like go out and play in the yard. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif