Pics of Our Vacation to South Dakota

/ Pics of Our Vacation to South Dakota #11  
Happy Anniversary to U2!

The pics are delightful, it certainly was a great trip.

May you have as many happy married years and we have.
106 years and still loving each other.
???? 53 each = 106

/ Pics of Our Vacation to South Dakota #12  
Great pics! Ive been to the area you drove thru several times and at diff times of the year. I really liked SD and NE. Lots of Pronghorn, mule deer and an occasional Elk....and several Cabelas to stop at. :) My little son and I spent quite some time poking around the Badlands...very fun!!! How long did it take you to drive the 3k mis?

/ Pics of Our Vacation to South Dakota #13  
Great pics Eddie and Steph. Happy anniversary. We look forward to October. (the get together is on our anniversary)

/ Pics of Our Vacation to South Dakota #14  
I was gonna say it's awfully close to rally time, room rates go through the roof.

/ Pics of Our Vacation to South Dakota #15  
Mornin Eddie,
Happy Anniversary !!! Those are great shots, thanks for taking the time to post them all ! I would say you guys had a great vacation and got to see many beautiful parts of our country ! Very nice ! :)

/ Pics of Our Vacation to South Dakota
gotrocks,

Thank you and congratulations to you too. 53 years is just amazing!!!!

Jim,

Picture number 09 is of a HUGE tractor salvage yard that must have been 20 acres in size. There were two others just like it right next to each other that I really wanted to stop and explore. This was about an hour away from Sydney Nebraska, wich is where the first Cabelas store is located. We didnt' stop because we just went to the brand new Cabelas near Austin a few months ago, and the other brand new on in Ft Worth, last year. It's worth the stop, but we chose not to this time.

If I had a choice, the end of September is my favorite time to be in the mountains. Of course, if we had that time available for a vacation, we would have gone to Yellowstone where there are allot more elk just to hear them bugle. Steph still has never experienced this, so it's on our list of things to do.

We left early Saturday morning and were home late the following Saturday evening. We drove quite a few miles everyday, but with the hiking we did, I only gained 2 pounds.

The best price on gasoline was in Omeha Nebraska at $2.65 a gallon. Most everyhere else was around $2.85 to $2.99

One thing we discovered that's not available here in our area of Texas is gas with ethonal added. It was called Regular Plus or Regular Silver and was from .05 cents to .10 cents a gallon cheaper then Regular gasoline. At first this confused us because we'd buy gas and expect to pay the cheapest price, but pump Regular and pay more. Regular Plus is cheaper then Regular!!! It als has a higher octane rating.

Harvey,

Thank you. We're looking forward to October and seeing everyone too. Especially meeting some new people and being able to share with everyone what we've done and what we're trying to accomplish here.

Maybe we'll have toast to you and Glenda for your annaversary with some of Rox's olive oil!!!! How many years for you two?

RedRocker,

The Sturgis Rally was a big concern to us as we didn't want to be around during it. Steph gets time off according to her doctor that she works for. He pays her for vacation when he takes it and he likes to take lots of vacations, so we never complain. We wanted to go to the Black Hills and thought we could get lucky and beat the rush going the week before. Turns out there are allot of bikers who feel the same way!!! We booked our room at the Holiday Inn Express in Hill City, SD for $120 a night. Rates at rooms we stayed on on the road were around $70. If we'd been there during the Rally, it was a one week minimum stay at allot of the hotels, but I don't know what the rates were.

Scotty,

Thank you. I remember how much I enjoyed your pics of your vacation to Ireland, which made me want to share ours with everyone.

Egon,

Thanks.

Eddie

Eddie

/ Pics of Our Vacation to South Dakota #18  
>>Picture number 09 is of a HUGE tractor salvage yard that must have been
>>20 acres in size. There were two others just like it right next to each
>>other that I really wanted to stop and explore. This was about an hour
>>away from Sydney Nebraska,
Well, I missed those. Where are they (what road)? Dont blame you for wanting to stop. I think that might have been the place my truck would have needed a rest. ;)

>> wich is where the first Cabelas store is located. We didnt' stop because
>>we just went to the brand new Cabelas near Austin a few months ago, and
>> the other brand new on in Ft Worth, last year. It's worth the stop, but
>>we chose not to this time.
I stopped at both stores in NE (Sydney and Kearney) + Michell, SD. :D Being an eastern boy Cabelas was something of a novelty (at the time). So I decided I should stop at each one. :D Each gun dept was a bit diff and very interesting. When I went thru the first time (winter) the sales staff wasnt at all busy so we talked hunting and guns for quite some time!! The only thing we didnt do was shoot and only b/c there wasnt a range handy. :D

Speaking of Mitchell...did you go thru there? If so did you stop at the Corn Palace? :)

>>If I had a choice, the end of September is my favorite time to be in the
>> mountains.
Ive been thru there in winter, spring and summer and all have their own beauty. I just need to try out fall now. :D One things for sure...we live in a country of amazing beauty!! Its almost beyond words.

>> Of course, if we had that time available for a vacation, we would have
>> gone to Yellowstone where there are allot more elk just to hear them
>>bugle. Steph still has never experienced this, so it's on our list of things
>>to do.
Thats one place we didnt see but are planning to go back to. Oddly enough I saw Elk by the road side in ID or Mt (cant recall which). There were places during my winter drive that the snow on the road side was full of tracks. It was all I could do not to stop and walk in a bit and see what might be out there.

>>We left early Saturday morning and were home late the following
>>Saturday evening. We drove quite a few miles everyday, but with the
>>hiking we did, I only gained 2 pounds.
WOW! That was quite the whirlwind vacation!!

/ Pics of Our Vacation to South Dakota #19  
Eddie, you and Steph take much better pics that anyone I know. Vickie and I went to the same places and took some of the exact same pics and yours make ours look bad.
The campground we stayed at was about 3/10 mile towards Rapid city from the tunnel shown on the Keystone Hwy. How diod you like the laminated beam bridge there where you turn off 16 to go to Keystone?
The narrow tunnel on the Needles hwy was a trip to drive my dually thru, when we parked on the other side a guy was looking and said his Tacoma wouldn't fit, go figure.
Here are somw like yours, just not as good

Attachments

• IMG025_0004.jpg
    IMG025_0004.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG024_0004.jpg
    IMG024_0004.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG023_0003.jpg
    IMG023_0003.jpg
    347.3 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG013_0002.jpg
    IMG013_0002.jpg
    419.5 KB · Views: 237
   / Pics of Our Vacation to South Dakota #20  
Great pics, Eddie and Steph! Thanks for sharing.