Photo Posting How To

/ Photo Posting How To
Inserting Pictures as clickable thumbnails using Imageshack

ImageShack can also be used to host photos that are clickable. It is very easy because you don't even have to register.
  1. Just fill in the boxes on the home page with your photo location and your email address if you want.
  2. Imageshack can even resize the photo for you, it reccomends 640 x 480 PX.
  3. Clicking on remove size/resolution bar from thumbnail will make the little bar that tells you how big an image is go away.
  4. Then click host it.
  5. You then need to take the box at the top of the screen that says Thumbnail for Forums. It is the second one down.
  6. Select it, then right click and click on copy.
  7. Then paste the code in where you would write your message; like with Photobucket.
This is what it ends up looking like (without the banner at the bottom) :

With the banner at the bottom :

If you register with them by giving them your email address, you will be able to find the pictures you uploaded before and use them again in another message.

The problem I find with ImageShack is that it is hard to keep track of all the pictures and they put advertising on the page when you click on the thumbnail.

There is a FAQ sheet here.

/ Photo Posting How To
The last thing I was going to explain was uploading things other than photos like Word Documents, PDF's and Zip's.

For Word Documents (.doc) you can do it through manage attatchments. Just select a word document instead of a photo.

The word document has to be a Word 97 - 2003 document, not a Word 2007 document.

You can easily save a Word 2007 document as a Word 97 - 2003 by clicking save as and then under where you type the filename click the down arrow and choose Word 1997 - 2003.

I have included and example in this post. (It is my first draft of this thread!)

To post PDF's it is very much the same, but this time you select the PDF instead of a picture.

To do ZIP's it is the same as PDF's.

A word of warning. People can ZIP up malicious files so as they appear harmless. TBN will not allow these harmfull files but it cannot guard against ZIPS's. Ensure you perform a virus scan before unzipping anything.

/ Photo Posting How To
I was told last night after posting the bulk of this thread about a way to attatch pictures inline with the post using the TBN Servers :)

So they come out like this :

MF135.jpg

The reason I had ommitted this way from the tutorial is it sometimes makes threads impossibly slow to read if someone posts a massive image. But, as long as the photo is resized, there is nothing wrong with doing it. Here is how to resize pictures.

Here is how to do it:
  1. Write out the message as you normally would at TBN.
  2. Make sure you have resized the picture to 640 x 480 PX.
  3. Then click on manage attatchments.
  4. Upload a photo as you normally would by selecting the photo on your computer and then clicking upoad. Do this for as many pictures as you want to display.
  5. Then close the little popup for manage attachments.
  6. Click roughly in the message where you want the photo to appear.
  7. Then go to the little paper clip button in the menu at the top of the wiriting box and click on the down arrow.
  8. Click on the photo you want to display.
  9. This will put a short bit of code in your message using the Attatch tag.
  10. Then post your message as normal and the photo should appear inline.
This way is probably the easiest if you want to display your photos inline. But you cannot make the thumbnails and it is important you resize the images first.

There is a limit to how many photos you can store on TBN. It will also use up resources ont he TBN servers so it is probably better to use another hosting company, as previoulsy mentioned.

One other thing that was pointed out to me is you can see all the attachments you have uploaded by going to your Home and going to the bottom of the menu on the right hand side and then clicking attachents.

Last edited:
   / Photo Posting How To #14  
I posted this on another board a year or so ago, but since this post is here, I feel it bears repeating here.

How to resize pics using "Paint" which comes bundled with Windows XP:

Resizing & cropping pics with "Paint":

Open the folder containing the pic you wish to edit. Right-click on the pic, scroll down to "send to" & then click on "my documents." This will send a copy of the pic to "my documents."

Go to "my documents" & open the pic. It will open in Windows pic & fax viewer. At the bottom of the page is a set of icons. Setting your cursor on an icon will bring up what that icon does. The next to far-right icon will close the pic viewer & open the pic in Paint to edit it.

When the pic opens in Paint, you will notice tiny blue dots along the edges of the pic. By left-clicking & holding on a blue dot you can crop (or cut) that edge of the pic. When you release the left-click the pic will be that size. You can only crop the bottom & right side of the pic.

To crop the top & left side, click on "image" at the top of the page, then click "flip/rotate" & flip the pic to crop the other side. When done, flip the pic back to normal.

To resize a pic: Click on "image" then click on "stretch/skew" & change the numbers in the top boxes from 100 to something smaller (90, 80, or whatever). Make sure you change BOTH numbers to the same value, otherwise the pic will be distorted.

Now, if you're happy with the pic, or if you make a mistake at any time, close the page. You will be asked if you want to save the changes. If you click yes, the pic in my documents will be changed. If you click no, the pic will be unchanged & you can open the pic again then open it in paint & start over.

After you've changed the pic to your satisfaction, you'll need to rename the pic to move it back to the folder it came from (otherwise you may lose the original pic). Right-click on the pic in my documents, select "rename" & either rename it completely or add something like "small," or "edit," or "sig" to it's name/number. When it's renamed, you can just "cut & paste" the pic back to it's original folder.

This is not very difficult to do, just a little involved in the description. All Windows machines have Paint installed, so there's really no need for an expensive editing program for simple resizing & cropping. Do it a couple times & it becomes fast & easy (I figured this all out in an afternoon just fooling around with it, who says an old dog can't learn new tricks).

/ Photo Posting How To #15  
BrahmaBullOldBluebody.jpg

Grrr just testing that last way to post the pictures. Sure is easy and fast.

/ Photo Posting How To
Jimbrown said:
View attachment 85386

Grrr just testing that last way to post the pictures. Sure is easy and fast.
Yeah, I had forgotten about this way but it is a pretty good way of doing it. Thanks to California for reminding me about it :)

I also like the way that the pictures go away when you quote. Saves having them load twice.

/ Photo Posting How To #17  
Grrr, you beat Tony the Tiger when it comes
GRRRReat!
Thanks for this grrreat lesson in pic posting.
Here is my Superwoman in her tomato patch.

Toms07Janet.jpg

/ Photo Posting How To #18  
gotrocks said:
Grrr, you beat Tony the Tiger when it comes
GRRRReat!
Thanks for this grrreat lesson in pic posting.
Here is my Superwoman in her tomato patch.

View attachment 85463

I am just so jealous that I can't see straight. There is no way I can get tomatoes to grow like that and even if I did the birds would eat everyone before I could get to them.

/ Photo Posting How To #20  
Jake,
A great and informative thread. Thank you for taking the time to post all the research and detailed explanations.
I have been asked many times how to post clickable thumbnails using Photobucket and have thought about posting the instructions. But you have done it for me so thank you.