Got Turkey?

/ Got Turkey? #1  

WayneB

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B-7500
Something we see everyday lately. I think there is somewhere between 40 to 50 in this flock.

Attachments

• turkey on hill.jpg
    turkey on hill.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 426
  • turkeys.jpg
    turkeys.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 362
  • turkeys near pool.jpg
    turkeys near pool.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 375
   / Got Turkey? #2  
Now where did I put my shotgun??? Good looking pictures!
David from jax

/ Got Turkey? #3  
Very nice, Wayne. They must be pretty tame to come in that close. I'll bet they keep the bug population way down.

In that flock, what's the tom to hen ratio?

/ Got Turkey?
Jim I am not too sure how many Toms we are seeing. It is funny that they are all around right now, but the first day of the turkey season they will be off and hiding.

Many of the turkeys in thses pictures are the young chicks that have grown up this summer.

/ Got Turkey? #6  
Awesome pics!!!!!!!!

My neighbor let ten go over the summer and we had three of them here for awhile. Then they crossed the creek and were seen along the highway for a few months. Now they are off someplace else. He's going to let more go as he can get them, so hopefully one day, I'll be able to enjoy them like you guys.

They really are awesome birds. Both Steph and I love t see them and enjoy watching them. As far as I know, there isn't another bird that entertains us as much as turkeys do!!!

Thanks for posting the pictures, we both enjoyed seeing them.

Eddie

/ Got Turkey? #7  
WayneB said:
Jim I am not too sure how many Toms we are seeing. It is funny that they are all around right now, but the first day of the turkey season they will be off and hiding.

Many of the turkeys in thses pictures are the young chicks that have grown up this summer.

Wayne, sometimes at a distance it is hard to ID the toms from the hens. I normally look for the beard hanging down from their chest and the red wattle (loose skin at throat). The males are normally much larger than females and even when their tails aren't spread, they are much more colorful than the hens. Here's a picture I took to illustrate.

Attachments

• TurkeysAtFeeder.jpg
    TurkeysAtFeeder.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 220
   / Got Turkey?
Hi Jim,

Thanks for posting the picture the turkeys at your feeder location. We see a lot of Toms, but normally as soon as we go out they are off and running into the woods. Not too easy to get close enough to take pictures of. Plus the fact that I am not that great at picture taking!

The attached photo is a Tom that is about 10 feet from my office window!

Attachments

• DSCN0195.JPG
    DSCN0195.JPG
    849.9 KB · Views: 206
   / Got Turkey? #9  
WayneB, That Tom looks to be a different breed than we have up here. Yours is much more colorfully.

David

/ Got Turkey?
David that is what 50 pounds of bird feed will get you. Could be just the guy behind the camera, too!