like father..like son ?

/ like father..like son ? #1  

D7E

Veteran Member
Tractor
Versatile 895 Versatile 876 Ford TW20 Ford TW5 MF 3505 FWA MF 390 FWA Ford 7600 Fiat 766 FWA JD 2030 MF 165 MF 35 Fordson major x 3 CAT 416 b Backhoe Case 580 b backhoe MF
My wife took this pic at the heat of combining ,We had done 12 days of 5am to 12pm ...**** and they say look at the mother ..This is scary ?

/ like father..like son ? #2  
Funny how you cross your arms and even your legs are in almost the same positions. I've never been able to sleep in a sitting postion, but you guys sure look like your all wore out.

Eddie

/ like father..like son ? #4  
I noticed you have the wine glass and the remote too!

/ like father..like son ? #5  
I'll be flying back to Iowa this Saturday (for three weeks) to start basically the same thing. Dad had a late,wet spring and the soybeans still aren't quite really yet. After beans, then hopefully the corn will be down below 17-16.5% moisture content, so the drying cost won't be too much. He has one farm 10 miles away and that is when we see those 5am -midnight type days(but only 4 to 5 days).

/ like father..like son ?
CATMAN said:
I'll be flying back to Iowa this Saturday (for three weeks) to start basically the same thing. Dad had a late,wet spring and the soybeans still aren't quite really yet. After beans, then hopefully the corn will be down below 17-16.5% moisture content, so the drying cost won't be too much. He has one farm 10 miles away and that is when we see those 5am -midnight type days(but only 4 to 5 days).
Well it's 11pm on thursday and we finnished 1 hour ago ,I have a 12 pack and a pack of smokes and i aint getting up till lunch time tomorrow ,Almost a divorce every year but my boy will be happy to see me in daylight ,We started on august 10th till 4th october 3 trucks are still loaded and 3 tractors and 1 combine are still scattered around the county and thunder storms forecast for the next 3 days...perfect ?
We finnished with 300 acres of RR beans "ROSCO" and we had 17 inches of rain in june july but amazingly the beans averaged 45 bushells ,Very short this year and higher than average losses ,Moisture was 14.6 in morning and 9 % in afternoon and getting up to 15 all night . (Using a flex head)Oats averaged over 100 bushells but canola bareley did 20 bushells but we got 300 acres of beautiful alfalfa into small square bales all tarped and done ,Now starts the washing ,Fixing and putting stuff to bed for winter ,About 900 acres left to chisel plough but that should only take 2 days with 2 40 footers .
Then break out the chainsaws ,Service the CAT D7 and wait for it to feeze and it all starts again ?

WayneB said:
I noticed you have the wine glass and the remote too!

..Do i sound older than 31..?...I'm the dirty one "the senior gets to finnish first and grab the wine bottle and remote" as he says "Go home ,Get your own" ?

Egon said:
What shape is the grain truck driver in??:D

..DONT even go there...My wife and my mother drive tandems with pups without major incident ...AMAZING...They don't need no encouragement.

/ like father..like son ? #9  
I knew it was the better half driving the grain trucks.:D :D :D

/ like father..like son ? #10  
D7E, My dad says the beans look as good as they did last year, which the yields were 59.5 bu/acre on 38" rows(old equipment). I seen bean moisture go from 12.5 to 9.5 in a hot, windy day. I haven't seen your numbers before. Around Iowa, we usually can't start combining until 9:30-10:00 am on beans, but that gives you time in the mornings to take the loads you combined (the night before) to the grain elevator. The latest I think I have combined beans was 11:30 PM, moisture starts to set in and the stems get tough and you can hear it in the combine. (usually stop 10:30PM). Dad stops at 7-8 PM, but he gets up at 4-4:30 am to feed cattle. I'm the haul guy until 7-8 PM, then I combine until it gets tough/ or a breakdown, then fill the combine with fuel each night and put it in the shed, then get the tractor and put the 2-4 wagons loads in the shed for the night. I'm kinda second-shift you could say. Dad greases the combine each afternoon before daylight goes away. On beans, as the haul guy, I usually have some "dead time", were I work on other projects between loads. Wash tractor windows, weld sometime that is broke, repack wheel bearings on forage wagons, etc.
We're lucky, the grain elevator is only 2 miles away. I am told my great-granddad bought coal there for their stove years ago because that's were the railroad stopped. They chewwed tobacoo and talked about farming(that was the local hangout in the wintertime).​
You definitely have a rougher harvest than we do, I guess you desire a beer or two.:)