New Holland TC35D w/ 16LA FEL
Photos of my new JD GREEN Ballast Box.
1st picture is the box freshly mounted.

Attachments

• 35-120920-Copy1b.JPG
    35-120920-Copy1b.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 2,969
   / John Deere Ballast Box
This picture is just a rear view of the box. The SMV emblem comes pre attached (big sticker) and covered with a black plastic to protect it. I was pleased to find it, I thought I was going to have to buy one. Saved $8 /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

Attachments

• 35-120922-copy1e.JPG
    35-120922-copy1e.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 1,676
   / John Deere Ballast Box
This picture shows the strips of lead weights that I placed in the box. Each ingot weighs 5 lbs. Each strip had 5 ingot for
a total of 25 lbs per strip.

Attachments

• 35-120927-copy1f.JPG
    35-120927-copy1f.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 1,551
   / John Deere Ballast Box
This picture shows the box with all the weight installed. 243 lead ingots with a total weight of 1215 lbs. Add the weight of the box, 88 lbs and the whole assembly weighs in at 1303 lbs.
I may drop it down to 800 lbs to start with and then see if it will be enough.
My JD dealer qouted me a price of $179 for the ballast box, after running the numbers, I got it for $167. All in All, I am very pleased with my new attachment.

Attachments

• 35-120932-copy1g.JPG
    35-120932-copy1g.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 2,678
   / John Deere Ballast Box
As you can see from the last picture it has started snowing here in Moultonborough, New Hampshire. One thing I need to figure out how to do, is to come up with a way to cover the box, to keep weather out. I am open for suggestions.
Enclosed is a picture of my New / Used landscape rake with the New gauge wheels attached, $240.00 OUCH /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

Attachments

• 35-120938-copy1a.JPG
    35-120938-copy1a.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 1,077
   / John Deere Ballast Box #6  
Mark,

I have a JD ballast box also... paid a buck and half for it. I hope that you didn't have to purchase all of that lead. I used concrete in mine. Total weight is around 500lbs.

To cover and protect it, I just through a piece of plastic over it and park it under the eaves of my house to keep most of the weather off of it. One thing that you may want to consider is to place some thin strips of wood under the box. This does two things. One, keeps it off the ground to prevent some rusting. Two, it allows you to nudge it around if necessary. You will find a ridge on the bottom of the box which can prevent you from moving it around. Especially if you store it on bare ground.

Terry

/ John Deere Ballast Box #7  
Ummmmm, Mark. Not sure if your lead ingots are pure or an alloy, but you might want to look at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.midwayusa.com/online/productpage.exe/showproduct?SaleItemID=144043&KeyWord=ingots>this</A>. Now that is for pure lead, but you'll notice that it runs a little more than $1.00 per pound. Let's see. Approximately 1000# of lead at even .75 per pound. Can we say "more toys"??/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

BTW, depending on what it's alloyed with, most bullet casting alloys that have tin in them are even more expensive.

Hoss

/ John Deere Ballast Box
Terry,
Thanks for the suggestions. I like the idea of keeping it off the ground to prevent rust. I got all the lead for FREE, which is why I chose to use it.
I was thinking of cutting a piece of pressure treated plywood a little bigger then the box opening and notch it to go around the top link bracket.
If I get real creative, I will cut another piece to set down in the box on top of the lead and come up with some way to hinge the cover, then the ballast box can double as a tool box.

/ John Deere Ballast Box
Hoss,
The gentlemen thet gave me the lead, had it for when he used to cast his own bullets, which he stopped doing years ago and Like you say, at even .75 per pound, 1200 lbs of lead is $900
I may be better off selling the lead, fill the box with concrete and then go by my box blade. Hmmm.
Now you got me thinking. He probably has another 2000 lbs sitting on his garage floor.

/ John Deere Ballast Box #10  
<font color=blue>"1200 lbs of lead ..... another 2000 lbs sitting on his garage floor"</font color=blue>

That would make a heckava lot of bullets.