Will we , the operator, some day, be obsolete ?

/ Will we , the operator, some day, be obsolete ? #1  

Mark_in_NH

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC35D w/ 16LA FEL
Attached is a picture of a John Deere project. It is called,
The "Operator-less Autonomous Tractor"
The article provided no information about it, other then this picture. It is an interesting looking contraption but there is definately no place for the operator nor an apparant need of one. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif Hence the name.
What Will Become Of Us ??? Kind of hard to get any seat time, when you ain't got no seat !!!
Is this a conspiracy to get rid of us ? (just kidding)
Muhammad, Your mission, if you choose to except it, is to find out what this machine is all about and if
"We the operator" will some day, be Obsolete. /w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif

Attachments

• 35-121847-CopyofP3220001.JPG
    35-121847-CopyofP3220001.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 97
   / Will we , the operator, some day, be obsolete ? #2  
I saw something similar a couple of weeks ago on AGVision - a Canadian AG TV show. The one I saw was not as modern-looking as the one in your attachment. This one actually looked more like a 4000 series except that hood extended all the way back to the rear fenders. It uses GPS to navigate and is aimed at orchard operations. This mainly to provide a safer way of spraying chemicals on the trees.

/ Will we , the operator, some day, be obsolete ? #3  
For corporate farming, an automated system makes sense to lower costs over the life of the machine.

IF the advances on this system move as fast as advances on computers, we (reckon most of us are in our 40's and 50's) may not see such a system, for home use, during our working lives. But our children will...

I imagine the navigation system is based upon a Global Positioning network. I believe that is used now for some agricultural uses.

Of course, there are cultural and societal issues to be resolved...what happens to the unskilled or semi-skilled labor market (ever seen the flick "Soylent Green"?).

By the way, doesn't that exhaust pipe run awful close to the front wheel? I wonder how this device steers?

Edited: That's probably not an exhaust pipe, unless the machine has dual exhausts (you can see the "pipe" on the other side too). It's probably some kind of a safety sensor to reduce run overs.

/ Will we , the operator, some day, be obsolete ? #4  
It is a bumper that runs around the tractor. I believe this is a all wheel steer tractor so the wheels do not have to turn as much as a normal tractor anyway. They are nice tractors and do use GPS but will not replace humans anytime soon. It is mostly good for spraying vinyards and orchards where a driver doesn't really have to be. Larger tractors with this system would help for tillage but I wouldn't want it to be spraying crops. Also brings up the problem of what does it do if something breaks down whether it is the tractor or implement. Does it keep going destroying everything or what? Probally 50 years is a realistic goal for them to have all the bugs worked out then they will have to convince people to buy them.

/ Will we , the operator, some day, be obsolete ? #5  
Several years ago, when I was in Europe, I read an article about a remote control tractor/mower made by Kubota . It was designed for cutting steep mountain slopes where it was too dangerous for an operator. The picture of the unit looked similar to the John Deere picture.

/ Will we , the operator, some day, be obsolete ? #6  
Attached is an article scanned from the April issue of AutoTrac describes JD's new GreenStar® AutoTrac Assisted Steering System.

DFB

Attachments

• 35-121893-autotrac.jpg
    35-121893-autotrac.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 104
   / Will we , the operator, some day, be obsolete ?
DFB,
The April Farming magazine is where I took the photo from.
I am embarrased /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif to say the I NEVER saw the article you posted until you brought it to my attention, so I picked up the magazine to try and figure out where the article was.
Dang thing was right in front of my face the whole time. If it had been any closer or clearer, it would have bit me.
Talk about Feeling Foolish. Oh Well, A little Humility only makes us stronger. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ Will we , the operator, some day, be obsolete ? #9  
Mark,
I guess I don't need to worry about getting seat time,for no way would any dealer sell such a piece of equipment to a ding dong like me. /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif I'm still knocking down my mailbox each year,and to give me the control to that JD..yikes..give me mercy. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

/ Will we , the operator, some day, be obsolete ?
I wonder if it comes with a place for a Chalkley Cup.
But then again, since it is an Operator-less Tractor, one could just let it mow the lawn, while they hung out in the hammock with there Chalkley Cup in the hand.