My Home

/ My Home #11  
Kevin

Great quality pics and great looking house.

I kind of like those US styles. We don't have that sort of thing here. What do you call that style of home?

What is the external cladding material?

Very nice indeed. I too love the porch.

Cheers

/ My Home #12  
Hey, Neil. Don't know what Kevin used, but we are planning on a product developed "Down Under" and becoming very popular here in the U.S. It's Hardieplank - a concrete-based siding that holds paint quite well and comes in some great styles. A terrific product as far as I can tell and reduces fire risk while looking exactly like wood (can only tell when you touch it). As I recall, it was developed by James? Hardie in Australia. Heard of it?

Bill

/ My Home #13  
Blurrybill:
I had my house built in 1999 and used the hardieplank on the house, garage and well house. Great material and I understand from a friend of mine who is a contractor on the coast that they are using it more and more over there in place of stucco because it doesn't absorb water and promote mold and mildew. Where I live we don't have that problem and I certainly like the fireproof properties of the material. Here's a picture of my place.

Attachments

• 35-122278-image006.jpg
    35-122278-image006.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 80
   / My Home #14  
Neil,

Here's the link <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.jameshardie.com/>http://www.jameshardie.com/</A> to their golbal website.

It is a great material. We've been using it for several years on Habitat for Humanity homes, and it's what we're going to put on our house when we build.

/ My Home #15  
Patrick,

That is a beautiful home. It's prety much exactly what we're leaning toward in style, size, detached garage, etc. Even the color - when my wife sees this picture her looking may be over.

Is your home from a plan book or from a particular mfg? The reason I ask is because it looks a lot like a plan from Heritage Steel Homes we've considered.

/ My Home #16  
P.K.,

Nice place! Yellow is a great "home" color - used it on a house we remodeled a few years back and I always liked the color. Another great porch, too! Read your profile and it sounds like a wonderful setting. Your experience with the siding is reassuring. It just seems like the way to go. We did discover that they don't manufacture vertical corner boards of the same material which is puzzling. Maybe by the time we get started.... Any problems at all with your application? My wife and I like the shake shingle look and we may combine the "lap siding" with areas of the house in "shingles."

One of the most exciting features is the fact that it is durable and one can paint it if at some point the chosen color becomes unappealing. With steel, aluminum, or vinyl you're basically stuck. Thanks for the picture; I'll share it with my wife.

Bill

/ My Home #17  
Kevin,

Nice house. What's the construction? I notice the deck has no snow - is it heated?

I spent a summer in Rainbow Lake during college on a seismic crew. North of Edmonton, north of Peace River, north of everything. Ya'll have Texas mosquitos beat all to h...! /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif

/ My Home #18  
Bill and/or Larry,

Have you ever used the shake shingle siding look in Hardieboard? Great idea BTW to use it on Habitat homes; an even greater value for the homeowner. A great program; a patient of mine was recently awarded a home. Two of her children were sexually assaulted by the biological father who is now in prison. This lady (and kids, naturally) were devastated, stuggled financially, and she worked really hard to offer them a stable homelife, while working diligently in therapy to sort through the confusion, hurt, and anger -- maintained a full time job, but would never have enough money to afford a new home. A very deserving individual who I believe will make the most of the opportunity. Thanks for whatever you do with the Habitat program.

Bill

/ My Home #19  
Bill,

I understand that they are now offering soffit and facia to go with the siding. Corner moulding can't be far off.

/ My Home #20  
Didn't know the soffit and facia were available. Seems with the increased demand they might give a go at the corners. Thanks, Bill

Bill