end of job

/ end of job #1  

woodmills1

Gold Member
Tractor
kioti LK3054
here is a shot of the last of the red oak posts and beams I have been cutting for a 1.5 story carrage house my cutomer is building. 4800 bd ft of product, ranging from 4"x4"x8' all the way up to 8x8x18. this job took 167 hours to produce. I harvested all of the trees from our woodlot and brought them out of the woods with the Kioti and Metavic forwarder, and cut the product on the woodmizer. since the trees are round I also ended up with some 3200 bd ft of red oak lumber while cutting the product, for an average of 50 bd ft per hour from forest to finished. I can't wait for the barn raising/pig roast on the 28th.

Attachments

• 35-126467-endproduct.jpg
    35-126467-endproduct.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 129
   / end of job #2  
Very impressive stack of wood! Be sure to post some shots of the barnraising /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ end of job #3  
James,

What method do you employ for drying the oak...?

How do you price out a job so labor intensive...(ahead of x amount unknown time?)...?

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ end of job
I sticker my lumber and air dry it for at least a year. If i am going to make furniture out of it i then sticker it inside for at least a few weeks, longer if possible. As far as pricing, most of my contract cutting on logs owned by others is by the hour, but this job was by the board foot, at 80 cents per. The price sounded good way back in december, but now that the job is done it should have been closer to $1.25, at least for the 8x8x18. the post and beam will be assembled green and allowed to dry in place.