More Visitors to the Prairie

/ More Visitors to the Prairie #1  

RobS

Tractor
None!
I shot these the other weekend and wasn't too happy with the image quality. They were pretty far away and it was early so I was at a high ISO. Seeing Eddie Walkers hogs though, I decided I should contribute. My most recent visitors...

Attachments

• Skunk-38.jpg
    Skunk-38.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 353
  • Skunk-52.jpg
    Skunk-52.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 235
  • Skunk-59.jpg
    Skunk-59.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 300
   / More Visitors to the Prairie #2  
Thanks for the post and photos... :)

remember that if you want to position the critters for better photos, pick them up by their tails and move them to a more fortuitous location. They can't spray if you pick them up by their tails.. just don't stick around when you set them down. :eek:

/ More Visitors to the Prairie #3  
Nice pics Rob. I've only seen a few skunks at my place, the most recent was just before school and it was on our front porch when my daughter opened the door. Luckily she shut the door and then screamed and not the other way around!!!!!!!

I've always heard that if you see a skunk during the day, something is wrong with it. Rabies is the most common thing, but whatever the reason, I've just always thought it was a good idea to kill them if possible. In the evening or early mornings, I tend to let them be as that's when they are supposed to be out and about.

Eddie

/ More Visitors to the Prairie
EddieWalker said:
I've always heard that if you see a skunk during the day, something is wrong with it. Rabies is the most common thing, but whatever the reason, I've just always thought it was a good idea to kill them if possible. In the evening or early mornings, I tend to let them be as that's when they are supposed to be out and about.

Eddie
This was early morning, they were pretty unaware of my presence but wandered off just as the light was improving for me. I guess I'll need to train them better!

And John, I think I'll pass on your suggestion!!!

/ More Visitors to the Prairie #5  
Rob, that skunk sure has a lot of long white hair. It must be a different breed than the ones around here. Thanks for posting the pics.
Eddie, I often see seemingly healthy skunks during the day. Usually grazing and minding their own business.

/ More Visitors to the Prairie #6  
I'd think about putting some cat food on the neighbor's property 'bout now. :)

I like that 3rd one with its head up. How far out were they from you?

/ More Visitors to the Prairie #7  
Here kitty, kitty, kitty.....
Nice kitty..... NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

/ More Visitors to the Prairie
MossRoad said:
I like that 3rd one with its head up. How far out were they from you?

The white one was closer, maybe 150 feet, the black on was pretty far, at least 200 feet. Pics are near 100% crops. The first time I saw the white one, I thought it was albino, it wasn't until I tried getting pictures did I notice the black on the bottom side. And such a contrast to the other one with very little white. So far, they only seem to graze, haven't caused any problems for us.

/ More Visitors to the Prairie #9  
Yeah, they kind of mind their own business. Just keep any pet food or trash cans cleaned up and secure and they won't hang around your house too long... just pass through. Sometimes they will dig up a yard if you have a good crop of worms and grubs. They like those. I've never seen one skunk at our place, but I have smelled them often out in the woods.

/ More Visitors to the Prairie #10  
In the heat of the summer, I used to go out to the shop to work on air tools early in the morning; frequently at 3 or 4 a.m. And I had two outdoor lights; one on its own pole and one on the corner of the shop building by the overhead door. A few mornings, there was a skunk apparently eating bugs on the ground under the lights and even though I was within 15' of it several times, it just ignored me.