Any Chisholm Ryder Grape Harvester owners?

/ Any Chisholm Ryder Grape Harvester owners? #1  

allenr

Gold Member
Tractor
Duetz DX3.70, Fendt 305LSA,260S & 205P,Kubota B6100E & 3 x B5100E & RTV900, Caterpillar 428C
Are there any CRCO owners on TBN? If so I'd like to hear from you.

Maybe TBN isn't the place to find them - are there any forums where grape harvester owner/operators or grape growers might be found lurking?

I may need to start looking for a standby hydraulic pump for my Chisholm Ryder and it would be useful to know of someone who has been through the process.

As Chisholm Ryders haven't been manufactured for many years, knowledge about pump specification or possible correctly rated replacements is a little difficult to come by.

The only identification found on the pump is that it is a "Commercial Hydraulics
USA". As can be seen in the pics there are two suction ports but three pump sections and pressure ports, for beaters, conveyors and suction fans.

Another line of enquiry I could pursue is that Nairn Grape harvesters in New Zealand did a fairly close copy a few years ago - still continues I think, but much modernised now.

MVC-016S.JPG

MVC-017S.JPG

MVC-818F.JPG

MVC-819F.JPG

MVC-016S.JPG

MVC-017S.JPG

Attachments

• MVC-820F.JPG
    MVC-820F.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 275
  • MVC-823F.JPG
    MVC-823F.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 297
   / Any Chisholm Ryder Grape Harvester owners?
Apologies for the disorganized state of the pics!

/ Any Chisholm Ryder Grape Harvester owners? #3  
Most of the parts found on Chisholm Ryder grape harvesters are off the shelf type parts. I will ask my friend when he gets home about the pump you are talking about and see what he tells me. There use to be a bunch of CR's around here but they are all quite old now and are being replaced by Korvan's and Gregories.

/ Any Chisholm Ryder Grape Harvester owners? #5  
You may want to contact that ebay seller and ask him as he seems to know about the pumps on these machines. I will ask my friend still and post back what I learn. I didn't get the time to see him yesterday but am going there today.

/ Any Chisholm Ryder Grape Harvester owners? #6  
Ok, I talked to my friend and I may be buying a Chisholm Ryder with the Ford power unit now as he just got one traded to him. As for your pump, he thinks the pumps on the CR 800 series were the same so it may give you more options for finding replacements. He didn't know any of the specs but he did say the pump was a Commercial like you discovered. There is a local guy here that deals with Chisholm Ryder parts I can get his number for you as he may be able to help you more with specs or parts sources.

I would also look into the company making the Chisholm clones and see if they use a similar pump. There is one of those machines around here but I don't know the owner.

I don't know if I was much help but I will let you know if I learn anything more.

You may want to contact that ebay seller and ask him as he seems to know about the pumps on these machines.

I did email the seller prior to your post, but mainly at this stage to get an idea of landed price in Oz.

He has mailed back saying;

"I've not yet shipped to Australia, but I have to Europe and South
America. Just nothing quite as heavy as this pump. I will begin a
search to find the best and least costly way to do it. I'll likely need
more specific information like a postal code for the delivery location
and phone number if and when we get to that point. Also, how quickly do
you need the pump?"

I intend to email the company offering new CRCO pumps to at least get a price comparison between new and used in the US.

Ok, I talked to my friend and I may be buying a Chisholm Ryder with the Ford power unit now as he just got one traded to him.

I wish you well in your deliberations. If you need any advice I may be able to offer a little.

My Chisholm was built in 1972 and it was purchased S/H by my family in 1980.
It and I haven't missed a vintage since that time.

/ Any Chisholm Ryder Grape Harvester owners? #9  
Thanks for the offer. I know the machine as it is my neighbors and my friend is actually my future father in law. All I have to do is decide if I want to own my own harvester or just keep hiring my harvesting done. There is advantages to both and I don't have to decide any time soon.

As for your pump, he thinks the pumps on the CR 800 series were the same so it may give you more options for finding replacements.

I've also emailed D.W. Motor (the other link in an earlier post) asking for specifications. They've replied saying that the 800 series pump won't work on an OWC as the 800 pump was running straight off the crankshaft. Sadly no specs forthcoming.