Fun with gates

/ Fun with gates #1  

wroughtn_harv

Tractor
2013 Volvo MC85C
This gate is at my local steel supplier around the corner from the shop. They're a part of Eagle Steel.

They wanted a gate but cheap and they'd supply all the materials.

The problem with doing cheap is you don't want it to look cheap. Sorta funny how that works. You can charge the bedevil out of something and it looks cheap and that's sometimes kewl. But cheap looking cheap just don't get it.

Besides that every weldor that's goes through is gonna critique the darn thing. So I decided to just make something a little different, character flaw, first to admit it.

It's all ten gauge two inch (2 3/8) pipe fitted and welded with a five foot horse panel attached to the front with a couple of strands of britches catcher on top for grins. The eagle head was freehanded and I wanted it to appear to be just sitting there without the usual tabs that are like what stencils have. I mean heck, everyone can cut but few make it appear to float. I like being part of the few.

If you're into gates you might note there isn't a truss rod or an angle brace within a block or two. But if you look close you will see the vertical braces are staggered. It works like a grill at a cookout.

I have a thirty eight foot wide slide gate made all out of schedule forty two and three eighths galvanized pipe that's nine foot tall with the rollers at each end.

An old boy had the hardest time trying to figure out just why it didn't sag in the middle without an X or angled brace anywhere. I'm not sure if he's got it yet that just because everyone puts them in their gates that doesn't mean you have to if you're real lucky.

Attachments

• 35-152103-MVC-006F.JPG
    35-152103-MVC-006F.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 370
   / Fun with gates
Another view

Attachments

• 35-152104-MVC-007F.JPG
    35-152104-MVC-007F.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 273
   / Fun with gates
I'd built this gate for this old boy about ten years ago. He'd put it on some telephone posts and all was well. Then times got better for him so he had me come back and make him this entryway. He had some hay rake wheels and all was fine.

Then he came up one day and let me know he wanted some wagon wheels. He was gonna get some and have me weld them up on his over head for looks.

Awhile passed and then one day he came up and told me he couldn't find any wheels. I offered to make them. He shoulda known right?

I put it on the round to it list and more time passed. I made the wheels. He was happier than a pup all alone with it's mom and it being dinner time.

Then I explained I didn't like just hot gluing (welding) the wheels up on the overhead. It needed something.

One day I glanced over at one of my junk piles and there amongst that stack was these old wheelbarrow handles. It went down hill from there.

If you look real close on that water barrel you will see a Coors Light can flattened out. Believe it or not his wife thinks it's cute.

Attachments

• 35-152106-MVC-008F.JPG
    35-152106-MVC-008F.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 298
   / Fun with gates
another view or two

Attachments

• 35-152108-MVC-009F.JPG
    35-152108-MVC-009F.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 249
   / Fun with gates #5  
Nice work. Very immpressive. I wish I could do that! Someday.../w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Fun with gates #6  
I'm lookin at all this neat stuff thinking ~...I really need a welder!...

Pete

/ Fun with gates #7  
Pete,

<font color=blue>I really need a welder!</font color=blue>

Let us know which one you pick out!

Hobart
Miller

/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Kevin

/ Fun with gates
Go with the Miller Trailblazer. It's so smooth is makes even a dummy like me look good. When the guys with the Rangers and Bobcats ask me about it I tell them it came with magnets on the stinger and ground clamp. I just set them where I want them and come back occasionally to change the rod.

I've been running Millers since 75. That's been more than a week of satisfaction. When I bought the Trailblazer I had an old boy begging for my Legend. I sold it for six hundred less than what I paid for it ten years earlier.

I call it my hot glue gun. One time I went to a big commercial gate problem a fence company was pulling their hair out over. It wasn't a big thing and after I'd explained to the maintenance department manager what I was gonna do to repair it. I finished off with "I'll go get the hot glue gun". He got all upset. He wanted it welded.

You've heard about promoting up and out? He was on the up side.

/ Fun with gates #9  
Harv,
Where are you located? I'd like to have you do some work for me if you're anywhere close.

/ Fun with gates
Richard,

I'm down here just outside of Dallas. We have us a little town that is proud to call Dallas our suburb or in cowboy, bull pasture. That's where the work is.

It's called Wylie and it's wide awake.

And there isn't anyway I'm soliciting work here. In fact if the moderators note the photo site I use has no address to get ahold of me.

I do appreciate the opportunity and the consideration tho Richard.