Tractor
    still looking

Default remember when?

Anybody old enough to remember these days
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -load1-jpg   -load2-jpg   -load3-jpg   -log-load-15-jpg  

Elite Member
    Tractor
    3550 Fard Backhoe and a 1948 Farmall Cub,

Default Re: remember when?

Heck Pulpwooders here continued that tradition of every ounce of wood on a small wagon lol. When I was little they still took stick wood in town. Every other person and his brother had a stick wood or pulp truck. theres still a guy that runs around in a a 79 1 ton Chevy with tandems on the back hauling custom logs. I was down in south MS last year on the way back from my honey moon and we saw a logging demo using the old 9 foot wheels.
    Dad has told me of many storieds of them cutting pulp wood from Willows. THey had to be draw knifed and dried. You had to peel them while fressh but you couldnt load them because they were so slick when the binders snapped shut they would shoot of fthe sides of the pulp trailer.

Tractor
    Kubota 6100

You won't find trees that size in Indiana anymore. It amazes me when I think that this whole state was COVERED in forest just a couple of hundred years ago. 1) Because all that forest our ancestors removed turned into nutrients that make our soil so great for farming, and 2) think of all the man-hours they used, with tools that were "primitive" to us today!

Tractor
    Kioti DK35, Ford 8N, Oliver Cletrac

A friend lived in the Zoor Valley which is one of the only places in New York that has an y old growth trees. It's too steep to harvest. He had a Cucumber tree come down and when we cut a cookie off the base and counted the rings we calculated that the tree started growing about the time of the Americal Revolution.
    I can't control my day but I can control my attitude.

Tractor
    Kubota L2800HST w/Frontloader & CC LTX1046

Like looking at those yesterday's photos..we sure have come along ways since.

Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

Quote Originally Posted by wjoerob View Post
    You won't find trees that size in Indiana anymore. It amazes me when I think that this whole state was COVERED in forest just a couple of hundred years ago. 1) Because all that forest our ancestors removed turned into nutrients that make our soil so great for farming, and 2) think of all the man-hours they used, with tools that were "primitive" to us today!
    Hate to tell you this, but by the mid 1800s half of Indiana's forests were burned to clear it for farming. This actually depleted the soil and ruined it for farming for many years. Look up "slash and burn" to see how it ruins soil.

As for lumbering, yes, they did it the hard way. Indiana was the nation's leading forest products producer around the turn of the century. Up here around South Bend, the Singer Sewing Machine Co. was the largest user of cabinet grad lumber used in the construction of sewing machine cabinets. Also, Studebaker Wagon Works consumed huge quantities of lumber.
    MossRoad

Click On My Little Tractor
    To See Pictures And Videos
    Of It In Action!!!

Tractor
    Allis Chalmers 616 (Two) and a Kioti CK30 HST with loader and backhoe

Hey y'all, the glaciers took our soil down stateside!!!

Nice pictures
    God Bless our brave men, bring them home, safe again.

Tractor
    still looking

a couple more
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -1minnesota-horse-logging2-jpg   -1toothpick-jpg   -log-truck51-jpg   -cant-lift-jpg  

Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyj View Post
    Hey y'all, the glaciers took our soil down stateside!!!

Nice pictures
    Yes, and they left a bunch of rocks strewn about all over the place, too!

But they do make for pretty stone fireplaces!
    MossRoad

Click On My Little Tractor
    To See Pictures And Videos
    Of It In Action!!!