27.9 KB · Views: 215
  • load3.jpg
    load3.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 223
  • log load 15.jpg
    log load 15.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 213
   / remember when? #2  
Heck Pulpwooders here continued that tradition of every ounce of wood on a small wagon lol. When I was little they still took stick wood in town. Every other person and his brother had a stick wood or pulp truck. theres still a guy that runs around in a a 79 1 ton Chevy with tandems on the back hauling custom logs. I was down in south MS last year on the way back from my honey moon and we saw a logging demo using the old 9 foot wheels.
Dad has told me of many storieds of them cutting pulp wood from Willows. THey had to be draw knifed and dried. You had to peel them while fressh but you couldnt load them because they were so slick when the binders snapped shut they would shoot of fthe sides of the pulp trailer.

/ remember when? #3  
You won't find trees that size in Indiana anymore. It amazes me when I think that this whole state was COVERED in forest just a couple of hundred years ago. 1) Because all that forest our ancestors removed turned into nutrients that make our soil so great for farming, and 2) think of all the man-hours they used, with tools that were "primitive" to us today!

/ remember when? #4  
A friend lived in the Zoor Valley which is one of the only places in New York that has an y old growth trees. It's too steep to harvest. He had a Cucumber tree come down and when we cut a cookie off the base and counted the rings we calculated that the tree started growing about the time of the Americal Revolution.

/ remember when? #5  
Like looking at those yesterday's photos..we sure have come along ways since.

/ remember when? #6  
You won't find trees that size in Indiana anymore. It amazes me when I think that this whole state was COVERED in forest just a couple of hundred years ago. 1) Because all that forest our ancestors removed turned into nutrients that make our soil so great for farming, and 2) think of all the man-hours they used, with tools that were "primitive" to us today!

Hate to tell you this, but by the mid 1800s half of Indiana's forests were burned to clear it for farming. This actually depleted the soil and ruined it for farming for many years. ;) Look up "slash and burn" to see how it ruins soil.

As for lumbering, yes, they did it the hard way. Indiana was the nation's leading forest products producer around the turn of the century. Up here around South Bend, the Singer Sewing Machine Co. was the largest user of cabinet grad lumber used in the construction of sewing machine cabinets. Also, Studebaker Wagon Works consumed huge quantities of lumber.

/ remember when? #7  
Hey y'all, the glaciers took our soil down stateside!!!

Nice pictures

/ remember when?
a couple more

Attachments

• 1minnesota horse logging2.jpg
    1minnesota horse logging2.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 117
  • 1Toothpick.jpg
    1Toothpick.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 166
  • log truck51.jpg
    log truck51.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 142
  • can't lift it.jpg
    can't lift it.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 159
   / remember when? #9  
Hey y'all, the glaciers took our soil down stateside!!!

Nice pictures

Yes, and they left a bunch of rocks strewn about all over the place, too!

But they do make for pretty stone fireplaces! :D