Dog pics

/ Dog pics #1,061  
Poor Chewy's mange got worse. Our home treatment around her eyes and mouth seemed to have been getting better then seemingly like overnight it spread all over. Took her back to the vet last Mon for another bad staff infection and started her on injectable Ivermectin (for cows & pigs) she takes orally. 1st 10 days we build up a little each day until get to full dose on day 10 then give that dose for 30 days, on day 4 now. Then take her back for skin scraping to see if the mites are still alive. My understanding is it takes AT LEAST 2 series of 30 days as the med only kills the adult mites not the eggs not the younguns. Then she can get it back again anytime if her immune system gets weak or even from too much stress. Giving her antibiotic everyday too and Derma Benss shampoo every 3 days. Poor pup's had almost nothing but strife her entire young life - she'll be 7 mos Dec 4. She's a happy, loving and very playful girl, most of the time she doesn't even know anything is wrong. We're never gonna stop getting her right.
Your prayers and well wishes would be most appreciated. KW

/ Dog pics #1,062  
I wondered how Chewy was doing. Sorry it's not going well.

AFAIK, pups are a bit more susceptible to some things like mange than adult dogs. So, more age may help.

I know it sounds danged odd, but they are treating people now with fecal matter from a healthy gut. :eek:

Something is amiss with Chewy. Gut bacteria make-up, or maybe never got a good dose of pre-milk colostrum at the stage needed. I'm just throwing stuff out there. It must be very frustrating, you just want to see Chewy healthy.

Is Chewy a Duck Tolling Retriever?

/ Dog pics #1,063  
Poor Chewy. It does sound like something that needs managed with diet. I wish you the best with sorting it out.

I started to post this in the Videos thread, but figured it would get more appreciation here among the dog people. Little Elwood died on Thanksgiving morning. He & his Mom, Karen, were regular visitors here in Southern Utah. I was proud to know him.

The World痴 Ugliest Dog痴 Beautiful Life has Ended | WebProNews

/ Dog pics #1,064  
I wondered how Chewy was doing. Sorry it's not going well.

AFAIK, pups are a bit more susceptible to some things like mange than adult dogs. So, more age may help.

I know it sounds danged odd, but they are treating people now with fecal matter from a healthy gut. :eek:

Something is amiss with Chewy. Gut bacteria make-up, or maybe never got a good dose of pre-milk colostrum at the stage needed. I'm just throwing stuff out there. It must be very frustrating, you just want to see Chewy healthy.

Is Chewy a Duck Tolling Retriever?

Thanks dave, very frustrating indeed. We seem to make progress for a min then more probs arise. She's an Aus Cattle Dog/Aus Shepard/Rott mix, the runt of her litter. Looks most like some kind of Collie. Her breed(s) very susceptible to demodectic mange. It happens from a weak immune system, mostly as a pup for whatever reason, then as they age and the immune system matures and kicks in, they're supposed to get better. We're impatiently waiting patiently! We finished day 6 of her Ivermectin treatment yesterday, still not even up to the full size dose yet. Haven't seen any change but I'm sure it's still much to early. Just hope she can tolerate the liquid treatment. She threw up 3 hrs after day 5's dose(coincidentally?)but did fine with yesterday's larger day 6 dose .
Re the fecal matter treatment - 17 years ago our septic system wasn't working correctly(it was sick). We had it drained and before putting the top on I dumped(pardon the pun)in 10 gals of fresh, clean horse manure. An old farmer friend of my grandfather gave me this advice. It seems the bacteria was healthy, strong and abundant enough to get the system to a good start and it's been working great(knock on wood)ever since. I'm not sure I'd eat it though, but there is something to say for healthy fecal matter besides YUCK!

Last edited:
   / Dog pics #1,065  
Poor Chewy. It does sound like something that needs managed with diet. I wish you the best with sorting it out.

I started to post this in the Videos thread, but figured it would get more appreciation here among the dog people. Little Elwood died on Thanksgiving morning. He & his Mom, Karen, were regular visitors here in Southern Utah. I was proud to know him.

The Worldç—´ Ugliest Dogç—´ Beautiful Life has Ended | WebProNews

Thanks LJH, she's eating much better since we've been making her homecooked meals(she eats better than we do now,lol). She's on a 1 sometimes 2 protien, no grain diet. Hopefully this along with the few supplements we give her will help strengthen her immune system which is the first step in clearing up her mange.
I did read on Yahoo news where Elwood passed, always a tragedy to loose a pet. Everytime I saw him it always brought my Grandma to mind. She loved watching Gomer Pyle, USMC and always commented how Gomer was so ugly he was cute.

Last edited:
   / Dog pics #1,066  
I've really enjoyed looking at everyone's beautiful dog photos. Lots of cute and good looking doggies. Here are Sammie and Molly, with Molly giving Sammie the stinkeye:

2464%20x1632%20%28Screen%20Sharpen%29%20DSC-4586-L.jpg

Here is Sammie taking a "swim", which is his favorite thing to do:
2464%20x1632%20%28Screen%20Sharpen%29%20DSC-4332-L.jpg

And here they are playing. It looks like Sammie is about to eat Molly alive, but they were just playing:

2464%20x1632%20%28Screen%20Sharpen%29%20DSC-4762-L.jpg

/ Dog pics #1,067  
Poor Chewy's mange got worse.

I had a dog with a bad case of mange and resolved it. The vet gave her shots once a week and I had to give her baths with special shampoo every day for 7 weeks. It worked and she was mange free after that. There is a drop treatment that you can use that kills the mange mites. I forget the brand, some treat mites and fleas, some only fleas.

/ Dog pics #1,068  
I had a dog with a bad case of mange and resolved it. The vet gave her shots once a week and I had to give her baths with special shampoo every day for 7 weeks. It worked and she was mange free after that. There is a drop treatment that you can use that kills the mange mites. I forget the brand, some treat mites and fleas, some only fleas.

Thanks Tom. Can you maybe scratch your brain a little and tell me what the vet used and what shampoo you used, if you can remember? How long ago was that? The treatment Chewy's on is definitely off-label. There's only one treatment the great commonwealth of VA recognizes for mange and that's some kind of dangerous dip(Mitaban??? I think it's called)both to the dog and whomever applies it. My vet even strongly recommended against that one.
I've read where some folks actually inject the Ivermectin, instead of administering orally, the same way they do cows/pigs.
Don't want to do drops, particularly, because we bathe her every 3 days with a benzol peroxide based shampoo -Derma Benss which seems to give her some relief - at least temporarily. Anything you can remember would be most appreciated as we're trying to cover ALL the bases we can.
Thanks again, KW

/ Dog pics #1,069  
Hey Pappy, great pics of Sammie & Molly. I bet they give you plenty of love and entertainment.

/ Dog pics #1,070  
Some great dog pics here!

Here is our newest addition that we picked up from the Humane Society several months ago. He is a Bullidor (a new one on me) and his name is Ford. He is now 7 months old, weighs about 70 lbs. Momma didn't want another dog until she saw him :)

Ford.jpg