Dog pics

/ Dog pics #1,081  
two_bit; In talking to my vet, it is likely that your dog finally developed a better immune system, and it happened about the same time you used the "old motor oil and diesel". Most dogs "outgrow" the issue, as their immune system becomes competent.

I will second sixdogs concerns and say you should cover yourself in it, and wear it a while, instead of covering the dog with it.

Yes, my dad used to say the same thing, so I know where the thought/idea comes from, but I think there are other things more useful today. Evidently, the dog in question just needs to find what works, while waiting for a good immune response. And this can be a warning, if the dog is immunocompromised, it is more susceptable to contracting other illnesses too, as it might not actaully mount an immune response to vaccines and such, until the immune system becomes "healthy". TomSeller's ideas might be well worth trying, since they worked well on his dog. Might be where I would start, if it were my dog. :2cents: Of course, I'd let my vet know, so anything that might conflict could be "caught" before making another problem.

/ Dog pics #1,082  
I think it might help and doesn't seem like much else is helping so far. It used to be the recommended treatment back when I was a kid. we only had to use it once but all the fox hunters and wolf hunters swore by it. I never knew any body to use anything else back then.

I remember my grandpa used the same for his hunting dogs for any/all skin conditions, he filled up a big tub and just tossed them in and held them for a few min - he's probably rolling over in his grave knowing it's NOT what I'm doing for my dog. Back then I remember too everyone smoked in the dr's office and hospital - a more innocent(blissfully ignorant)time.
In these more enlightened times there are many less toxic treatments even if they take a little longer, but I do appreciate your offer of help/advise.

/ Dog pics #1,083  
As luck would have it, I found an old shampoo bottle. Virbac is the brand. Pyoben is the name. Contains Benzoyl Peroxide. The back says it is for follicular flushing which is where the mites live, down in the hair follicles, or I guess you would say fur follicles. No record of the shots. You HAVE to be diligent about the shampoo. No skipping of any days. Every day for 7 weeks, but don't worry, it goes fast. I always told her it was going to hurt me more than it hurt her. (she likes baths now)

Virbac Animal Health — PYOBENョ Medicated Shampoo | United States

Thanks! Maybe the treatment changed since then or maybe it's regional how the ivermectin is administered. My vet said, and I do see a small bit of improvement, to administer daily - orally - for between 40 - 60 days maybe more if still affected, we're on day 12 tonight - she hates the taste but seems to tolerate it with no adverse side effects(our fingers stay crossed). The shampoo we're using is a diff name by diff brand but essentially the same make up - our's only has 2.5% benzol peroxide compared to your's 3% but has sulpher added. By directions on the bottle and vet instruction we're bathing her every 3 days, tomorrow will make bath #10, but only #4 with the ivermectin treatment. She has been a pool/water lover since very young and loves her baths, sometimes when she's out of eyesight and we look for her she's just hanging out in the tub!
Thanks very much Tom for going through the effort to find the info for me, it helps to know we're not alone in this. KW

/ Dog pics #1,084  
I'd be willing to bet the shots TomSeller mentioned is ivermectin. I had an uncle that had a dog with the problem of mange, and when the vet began giving the ivermection shots, it got better too. Never had a problem after that. Don't know if it was the same sort of mange, or not, but it worked for that dog, every well.

Thanks again farmgirl for your continued concern and support. Maybe the diff administering meathods of ivermectin are for diff strains of the mange mites. Chewy has Demodectic or 'red' or 'puppy' mange. We've also started incorporating several ingredients from the recipes you gave me. Thanks :thumbsup:

/ Dog pics #1,085  
two_bit; In talking to my vet, it is likely that your dog finally developed a better immune system, and it happened about the same time you used the "old motor oil and diesel". Most dogs "outgrow" the issue, as their immune system becomes competent.

I will second sixdogs concerns and say you should cover yourself in it, and wear it a while, instead of covering the dog with it.

Yes, my dad used to say the same thing, so I know where the thought/idea comes from, but I think there are other things more useful today. Evidently, the dog in question just needs to find what works, while waiting for a good immune response. And this can be a warning, if the dog is immunocompromised, it is more susceptable to contracting other illnesses too, as it might not actaully mount an immune response to vaccines and such, until the immune system becomes "healthy". TomSeller's ideas might be well worth trying, since they worked well on his dog. Might be where I would start, if it were my dog. :2cents: Of course, I'd let my vet know, so anything that might conflict could be "caught" before making another problem.

I'm taking your suggesting that I dip myself in the mange treatment with the levity I am sure you intended. It may not be what you would do and you may feel it inappropriate but I made the suggestion because I have seen it work and I hope Kw22614 can get his dog cured and realize he is not having much luck so far. So it was made in the spirit of helpfulness. Just like I would not suggest that you or another person should be 'put down' if you became old, feeble or incurably sick I am sure you don't really wish I would take your suggestion seriously either. :D

I remember my grandpa used the same for his hunting dogs for any/all skin conditions, he filled up a big tub and just tossed them in and held them for a few min - he's probably rolling over in his grave knowing it's NOT what I'm doing for my dog. Back then I remember too everyone smoked in the dr's office and hospital - a more innocent(blissfully ignorant)time.
In these more enlightened times there are many less toxic treatments even if they take a little longer, but I do appreciate your offer of help/advise.

I respect you to do what you think is best for your dog. And I hope your dog gets over this as soon as possible. I don't like for animals to suffer.

/ Dog pics #1,086  
two_bit; Inflection cannot be added to a posting, any more than it can be an email. I'm sorry if my reply came across wrong. I would never dream of soaking one of my animals in burnt oil or diesel, any more than I would soak myself in it. After all, I don't eat processed dry food, so I do not feed it to my dogs. I cook for them too. But I do believe that all of us that visit this thread, want what is best for the critters. I was not trying to imply that you didn't care about the dog.

/ Dog pics #1,087  
two_bit--same for me on the light hearted intention. I know that you and all of us here love our dogs. :)

/ Dog pics #1,088  
two_bit; Inflection cannot be added to a posting, any more than it can be an email. I'm sorry if my reply came across wrong. I would never dream of soaking one of my animals in burnt oil or diesel, any more than I would soak myself in it. After all, I don't eat processed dry food, so I do not feed it to my dogs. I cook for them too. But I do believe that all of us that visit this thread, want what is best for the critters. I was not trying to imply that you didn't care about the dog.

Well, FG, like I said, I know you meant it with levity. :D

BTW, we never soaked the dog in the mixture. We swabbed it on him with a small mop in the affected area. Now, somebody has mentioned dipping them but that's not what we did. Like a lot of home remedies there are many different applications. All the wolf hunters and fox hunters used it regularly. We only used it once and it worked. What can I say? Iy's possible, like you say, that it was coincidental that the mange cleared up on it's own but we only treated him for about a week.

/ Dog pics #1,090  
Sharon grooms our dogs with Neem oil, mostly for tick repelling. That isn't 100% effective but she thinks it's better than using the commercial tick stuff like Frontline that is absorbed into the dog's skin. Ticks still bite the dog with Frontline, it kills them after they have fed on the blood.

She also adds garlic oil to their food. I don't think she's used sesame oil, which could be mixed with neem oil for deeper fur penetration according to this blog post:

Kill Mange - How I Cured My Dog From Mange: The WAR VS MANGE Begins with Neem Oil

Seems like sulfur is a common component to mange treatment. There is probably sulfur in old oil and fuel too, maybe more than now.