Dog pics

/ Dog pics #1,141  
Nice, so does this mean your user name is changing to eightdogs? ;)

Well, no. Fate took us to fourdogs so things are back to normal at sixdogs. However it's worked, it's been six for 30 years.
It's just difficult to turn away needy Springers when they deserve a good home. Any more and I'd have to change my name to either "nowife" or "twowives". More likely the first after I suggested we start making our own dog food. :D

/ Dog pics #1,142  
Making your own dog food is easy, and doesn't cost more than feeding a good quality bagged food. Now, it will cost more than feeding some nasty, grain filled kibble that is sold as food.

I am always amazed when I go places with my dogs, and when people ask their ages, I say 9 and 11. The next response is always indicating they believe that to be "months", and are shocked when I tell them, "no, that's years". They are healthy and active, and look and feel better than anything I have ever fed from a bag on a shelf. They do look and act more like puppies than old dogs.

/ Dog pics #1,143  
Making your own dog food is easy, and doesn't cost more than feeding a good quality bagged food. Now, it will cost more than feeding some nasty, grain filled kibble that is sold as food.

I am always amazed when I go places with my dogs, and when people ask their ages, I say 9 and 11. The next response is always indicating they believe that to be "months", and are shocked when I tell them, "no, that's years". They are healthy and active, and look and feel better than anything I have ever fed from a bag on a shelf. They do look and act more like puppies than old dogs.

Is there a commercial dog food available that meets some or all of the requirements for a good dog food? Mine get fed nearly 100% vegetables and some meat in the summer and fall but far less so in the winter. I try to avoid grain based foods at all times but it's difficult. To try for 100% home made dog food at the moment is probably not a good idea.

/ Dog pics #1,144  

Is there a commercial dog food available that meets some or all of the requirements for a good dog food? Mine get fed nearly 100% vegetables and some meat in the summer and fall but far less so in the winter. I try to avoid grain based foods at all times but it's difficult. To try for 100% home made dog food at the moment is probably a tough sell.

/ Dog pics #1,145  
Sal and Max, tired from running on the beach.
IMG_0001.jpg
Max is the serious one.
IMG_0044.jpg

Sal is short for Salvador and Max is short for Maximillian. Sal is an animal shelter adoption and Max a rescue from puppy mill. Max needed a lot of socialization because of fear of people, but is now a sweet heart.

/ Dog pics #1,146  
Is there a commercial dog food available that meets some or all of the requirements for a good dog food? Mine get fed nearly 100% vegetables and some meat in the summer and fall but far less so in the winter. I try to avoid grain based foods at all times but it's difficult. To try for 100% home made dog food at the moment is probably a tough sell.

About the time friends find one that fits the description, someone like Procter and Gamble comes in and buys them, and changes it all. They don't decrease the price, just change the ingredients. And they have 6 months after changing the "recipe" before they have to change the ingredients shown on the bag.

Some of the Nature's Variety food fits, at this time. I think it is their Instinct line. I know some of their formulas do contain grain. Orijen or Acana (same company produces both) probably have some grain free, acceptable foods too. The other might be Fromm. I think they still have their "Beef, frittata, veg" formula, which is, or was, grain free. Since I do not feed pre-packaged foods, I do not keep up with all of them.

Remember treats too, if you give them. Avoid wheat, corn, rice, flour there too. PureBites makes a beef liver flavor, that is 100% USA beef liver. Pricey, but at least there are no added ingredients. I think one can even find them on Amazon. I just make my own.

Best advice: Read the labels, and if it contains wheat, corn, flour, rice, millet, barley, glutens, or any other way they try to describe grains, AVOID it. Those are mostly fillers anyway, and take the place of good quality protein. My own dogs get 50-60% of their diet as meat sourced, and 40-50% vegetables and fruit. Protein is what is needed to be able to build muscles, tendons and ligaments. Carbs are calorie dense, so don't do much more than add weight. (For those that doubt it, drink some beer daily and see what happens to your waistline!)

Also, remember that almost all of our grains are now GMO, the consequences of such has yet to be fully determined. If one home cooks, they can source organic, to avoid those grains, but pet foods are not likely using only organic ingredients.

/ Dog pics #1,147  
Here is my three best friends, Samurai the Tousa Inu, Tazman the Dogue De Boreaux and Big "D" the American Blue Bull Terrier.
DevilDog

Attachments

• 100_4590.jpg
    100_4590.jpg
    523.6 KB · Views: 126
  • My Boy Taz.jpg
    My Boy Taz.jpg
    603.7 KB · Views: 111
   / Dog pics #1,149  

I feed my two older German Shepherds Blue Buffalo Large Breed Senior and my young Shepherd Blue Buffalo Wilderness. Check out this site for some interesting dog food reviews. Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor

/ Dog pics #1,150  
I think Petsumer report is about the best for giving ratings. Many of the others actually get money and kickbacks from the pet food companies, for good ratings.