Dog pics

/ Dog pics #1,201  
HeLa; Thanks for the info! I have seen one or two that do obedience, agility AND field, but those are the only ones I've seen in person. They are VERY high energy dogs! Most with that energy level have to be kept busy, or they find too many things to get into on their own. Hence why I was asking. Thanks again!

/ Dog pics #1,202  
Our girls are getting big. I can't believe I used to hold them in my arms. They're 8 months old by now and have been showing remarkable natural instincts as the livestock guardians they've been bred to be. They prance, play, and run guard perimeters around the pasture, deftly sidestepping any headbutts from cranky goats. They bark at coyotes and wolves and any other threat, real or imagined, but openly invite any human visitors to scratch their heads and rub their bellies. When we borrowed a buck from a friend to breed our nannies, the dogs wouldn't let him near. We leashed the dogs and buck, let them sniff at each other for a few minutes, while petting the goat and dogs back and forth to get the scents mingled together. After a bit, all was fine. The buck lived with our girls for about a month, and once we were sure ours were bred, the owner came to get him. Our dogs did not want to let him go! I'd say those are very strong instincts for such young dogs.

This is Freyja.
1526420_10201352197988570_1580309273_n.jpg
And this is Mina.
1479002_10201352200348629_1676225871_n.jpg
They have been an absolute joy so far.

Joe

/ Dog pics #1,203  
Marveltone--that's a serious coat of hair on that dog. They must look naked after a haircut.

/ Dog pics #1,204  
Marveltone--that's a serious coat of hair on that dog. They must look naked after a haircut.

I've heard that Pyrs Have a running dog's build under all that fur. Since that wonderful coat is needed to provide protection from the elements (cold and heat) and teeth and claws, it's not supposed to be shaved or cut. Just brush out the winter wool in the spring and call it good.

Joe

/ Dog pics #1,205  
I've heard that Pyrs Have a running dog's build under all that fur. Since that wonderful coat is needed to provide protection from the elements (cold and heat) and teeth and claws, it's not supposed to be shaved or cut. Just brush out the winter wool in the spring and call it good.

Joe

Our dogs have similar coats. There is not a bird nest around the yard that doesn't have some dog hair woven into it. :) We see birds collecting it in the yard.

One area I've found that needs special attention in spring with the hair rake is the front of the neck/upper chest. Dead fur can mat in that area under the outer coat, maybe because it gets wet from drinking, a little drool, or whatever.

/ Dog pics #1,206  
Marveltone those are beautiful girls, they are very popular here with the people that have cattle.

/ Dog pics #1,207  
Our dogs have similar coats. There is not a bird nest around the yard that doesn't have some dog hair woven into it. :) We see birds collecting it in the yard.

One area I've found that needs special attention in spring with the hair rake is the front of the neck/upper chest. Dead fur can mat in that area under the outer coat, maybe because it gets wet from drinking, a little drool, or whatever.

What do guys you do about fleas? A dog like that would be a very poor choice down here, although some still keep them.

/ Dog pics #1,210  
Nothing. We don't get them here in Utah, they don't like the low humidity and high altitudes. Sure wish that was also true for rattlesnakes. :)