Dog pics

/ Dog pics #542  
the first picture is Oakley, a German Wirehaired Pointer, stands before winning the Sporting Group at the 137th Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show at Madison Square Garden in New York, February 12, 2013.

The next to pictures are Maltby our German Wirehaired Pointer, that didn稚 show at theWestminster Kennel Club Dog Show,matter of fact he wasn稚 even there, but if he was I am pretty sure he would have given Oakley a run for the title.

I watched that part of the show, and actually picked Oakley to win out of the short list. Beautiful movement in that dog! Congrats.

/ Dog pics #543  
I watched that part of the show, and actually picked Oakley to win out of the short list. Beautiful movement in that dog! Congrats.

Dave please do not think I have anything to do with Oakley! Our pointer is purebred and just a great dog, turning 4 in March and is really active. He goes out for at least two walks / runs everyday and maybe logs in about 5 miles. During bird season he will put on about 10 miles everyday we hunt. Last year he lost nearly ten pounds during bird season. There is not a mean bone in this dog and is the type that barks backing up. But, when it comes to hunting he is all business and he fetches to boot.

Wayne

/ Dog pics #544  
Dave please do not think I have anything to do with Oakley! Our pointer is purebred and just a great dog, turning 4 in March and is really active. He goes out for at least two walks / runs everyday and maybe logs in about 5 miles. During bird season he will put on about 10 miles everyday we hunt. Last year he lost nearly ten pounds during bird season. There is not a mean bone in this dog and is the type that barks backing up. But, when it comes to hunting he is all business and he fetches to boot.

Wayne

Oops, I misunderstood your post.

On that subject though, the dogs in the Sporting Group at AKC events ought to have some hunting, field trial bona fides to be entered. I am not sure how many of those dogs actually hunt, although I think some do.

Maltby sounds like a dedicated hunting dog. My Dad had a Brittany years ago for pheasant hunting. That dog would go and go, no quit. Had a good nose too. Those are the qualities that should be rewarded/required in hunting dogs for the sake of the breed and the sport.

/ Dog pics #545  
Oops, I misunderstood your post.

On that subject though, the dogs in the Sporting Group at AKC events ought to have some hunting, field trial bona fides to be entered. I am not sure how many of those dogs actually hunt, although I think some do.

Maltby sounds like a dedicated hunting dog. My Dad had a Brittany years ago for pheasant hunting. That dog would go and go, no quit. Had a good nose too. Those are the qualities that should be rewarded/required in hunting dogs for the sake of the breed and the sport.

Sorry about that Dave, all my fault for posting a picture of Oakley the winner! Maltby is a great dog, but not for city living, I am sure it would destroy him and he would destroy the place he is living in. He is actually my Grand-Doggie as he belongs to my Son who lives with us.
There is a place in Vermont that is all about German Wirehair Pointers Ugly Dog Hunting
Actually they sell all kinds of hunting gear for hunters and dogs.

Wayne

/ Dog pics #546  
Sorry about that Dave, all my fault for posting a picture of Oakley the winner! Maltby is a great dog, but not for city living, I am sure it would destroy him and he would destroy the place he is living in. He is actually my Grand-Doggie as he belongs to my Son who lives with us.
There is a place in Vermont that is all about German Wirehair Pointers Ugly Dog Hunting
Actually they sell all kinds of hunting gear for hunters and dogs.

Wayne

OOps, I mistook the post also.....:ashamed:......That's how rumors start

I hear ya about hard huntin' huntin' dogs.......I've tried to following mine through tamarak swamps yesterday and almost ended up in Canada

/ Dog pics #547  
OOps, I mistook the post also.....:ashamed:......That's how rumors start

I hear ya about hard huntin' huntin' dogs.......I've tried to following mine through tamarak swamps yesterday and almost ended up in Canada

We do not need rumors, way too many of them already. Maltby never goes out without the field trainer on and also the GPS sensor.
Not that he is not under voice control, but there always comes that time when he will pick up trail on something and want to chase it.
Times when it is a scent of a skunk or porcupine and we want to be able to curb his excitement. We have the Garmin 320 and use it all the time when hunting.
Gives us a location for the dog and the direction he is heading. Plus it keeps track of how many miles he is going each time.

/ Dog pics #548  
Gives us a location for the dog and the direction he is heading. Plus it keeps track of how many miles he is going each time.

Good Mornin Wayne,
That system must be neat to use, of course you do need to keep up, which may be quite difficult in rough terrain ! ;):)

/ Dog pics #549  
Good Mornin Wayne,
That system must be neat to use, of course you do need to keep up, which may be quite difficult in rough terrain ! ;):)

Hello Scotty, darn haven't heard from you a dogs age. For every mile we do he seems to average 31/2 miles. Nate took him up north hunting an the dog averaged 12 miles each day. I guess all bird dogs (pointers) act the same way. Have you been up to Vermont lately? We have not gotten up to out mountain place since we closed it up last November and I plan to head up there the first of April.

/ Dog pics #550  
We do not need rumors, way too many of them already. Maltby never goes out without the field trainer on and also the GPS sensor.
Not that he is not under voice control, but there always comes that time when he will pick up trail on something and want to chase it.
Times when it is a scent of a skunk or porcupine and we want to be able to curb his excitement. We have the Garmin 320 and use it all the time when hunting.

I hear ya Wayne, my two NEVER go out without their Garmins on too......I wish I had held out for the new Garmins with the built-in Tritronics E-collar but I have two much invested already (4 dc-30 & 2 Astro 220's, and 2 Tritronics Trashbreakers).....I bring 2 extra garmins for friends dogs w/o gps, they soon realize just how valuable they are when it comes to hunting with hounds and going home WITH their dogs

I wonder how my furbuddies are able to run a rabbit in a circle with all the necklaces on they seem like they can't turn their necks....:laughing:

Mine did 12.5 miles yesterday and are sleeping it off now......:cloud9:........2moro they will do it again.....:cool2: