Dog pics

/ Dog pics #981  
Our girl Chewy just got diagnosed with Demodectic Mange last Mon. She had a nasty looking rash on her chin and around her bottom lip for a couple days that just got redder and nastier looking. Vet said she had a staff infection and her immune sys was down, so he put her on antibiotics, a special diet and some pre/probiotic tabs till we take her back on Tues and hopefully start treatment on the mange itself. Rash has spread to around her eyes and a couple spots on her face. She itches and bites herself everywhere. I've been researching and the drugs and/or dip the vets usually prescribe are seriously dangerous and scary, especially for her breed. Yesterday I ordered from Amazon some Dermabenss soapless shampoo, Durvet Nu-Stock ointment and Puralube ointment(for her eyes). I will at least try this remedy first before submitting her to the torturess meds the vet wants to try. Anyone have any experience with 'Red Mange'? What did you do?
Here's a few pics from earlier this month - before the mange#

#ATTACH=CONFIG#343821#/ATTACH##ATTACH=CONFIG#343822#/ATTACH#View attachment 343823

My wife has a dog grooming shop, and she washes the dog's faces with a medicated shampoo, sometimes once or twice a week. It takes a couple of weeks, but it seems to work. Really important to rinse it out comepletely.

/ Dog pics #982  
Demodectic mange is a problem when there is a poor immune system. Once the immune system gets "right", the dog's system can "handle the mange" and clear it on its own. So, I'd make sure the dog is getting good nutrition (grain free) as my first thing. A few years ago, there was a product called Goodwinol pointment, that you could apply to the individual areas. It was safe, as I think one could even use it around children, if memory serves. Maybe you can find that, if this is localized and not all over the body.

Demodectic mange is present on almost every being, be it dogs or humans. (They live in the eyelash follicles in humans.) They don't cause a problem, until the immune system is compromised. Did your dog recently receive vaccinations? Those can stress the body too. While the mange may be self limiting, it can be irritating, and annoying for you and the dog. If it is truly itchy, Sarcoptic mange may be present too. My uncle and aunt had a dog that had Sarcoptic mange, and the poor dog scratched until it had no hair left, and the entire body was affected. Sarcoptic mange will need to be treated, but again, demodectic can be self limiting, once the dog has a "healthy" immune system.

/ Dog pics #983  
Thanks 300UGUY, it's prob the same type of shampoo I ordered I'll make sure to rinse it out good.

Yes farmgirl, you are absolutely correct (been doing lots of research this week). Vet diagnosed as only Demodectic mange - even showed me her skin scrape thru the microscope and only saw the one type of mange. It seems to be localized just to her face and only about 4 areas. The Nu-System ointment is supposed to be about the same as Goodwinol but supposed to be a little less staining, smelly and more inside friendly. The shampoo is supposed to kill the mites and clean out the follicles and the purevet is suppose to coat her eyes so the shampoo and ointment won't irritate them too badly. Chewy has food allergies since very young and has always been on a wheat, corn and soy free diet. She's the finnikeyest eating dog I've ever had. Between weeks of not wanting to eat anything, severe diahrea, then days at a time of constipation. For the last month she's been on a vet recommended plain chicken and rice diet, which she will now only eat when I hand feed her slowly(takes 1-1&1/2hrs) and we're lucky if she'll eat 1/2 of it. Vet just called today with the correct vitamin and nutrition supplements since they had to research to find ones because of her allergies. So yes her immune system is way down. Another vet, at the same practice, now thinks maybe she has bad reactions to chicken as well and has given me a venison recipe to try, transitioning slowly. It calls for 9oz of deer meat and 2&1/2oz of deer organ meat, along with sweet potato or pumpkin, egg, mushrooms and green beans(daily split between 2 meals). I still have some deer roasts in the deep freeze from last year but have no organ meat. Guess I'll have to hit up my hunting friends for the guts they toss this season. Once we can get her to eat well and enough, along with the proper supplements, as you say, her immune system should improve and hopefully kick these mite's little butts. She's always suffered from poor nutrition that's why we're looking for ways to help her from suffering with this affliction.
Thanks for your concern! :proposetoast:

/ Dog pics #984  
I don't know if the case of "Puppy Doe" got much national press. But the general gist of it is that a 12-18 month old female pit bull was found abandoned and suffering from multiple injuries. Including broken bones, a stab wound to a eye, a mutilated tongue ( forked to resemble a snake) among other injuries due to other torture. This was in Mass and authorities have a person in custody who was found in CT. As a animal lover, I can not understand how someone can do such things to a dog. My 2 dogs make me smile every day and want nothing in return. They are just happy to get scratched and lay on the couch. As every dog is.

/ Dog pics #985  
Has Chewy been triple-checked for whip worm? Parasite tests can be difficult to get accurate.

Whip worm can cause severe diarrhea, lethargy and general poor nutrition. If whip worm is present in your area (it persists in the soil) it will be a constant threat to be treated.

/ Dog pics #986  
kw; I have a dog allergic to chicken, AND rice. Rice being a grain, I can understand it. He is mine, because his original owner did not want to deal with his allergies, and got rid of him! It has certainly been their loss, as he has been a joy, even if he isn't the "brightest crayon in the box"!

tom; I had not heard of puppy doe. People start with innocent animals, then progress to doing the same tortures to humans. It makes me ill to my stomach to hear of these stories. There is a special place in heII for those that would do such as that to an animal. I hope the perps rot, then burn.

/ Dog pics #987  
Thanks dave. Yes she's been checked more than 3 times. I started feeling like my vet was getting easy money from me there for a while - $29 each test.
She was found, a while back, to have tape worm(which isn't even tested for, I brought in a worm sample) but given meds for and I've never seen the worms again. Besides since she's been about 3 months old she's been given diatomaceous earth daily which is supposed to kill all internal parisites. Wifey and I take it too - lots of health benefits.

/ Dog pics #988  
farmgirl what do feed your 'color challenged crayon'?

/ Dog pics #989  
farmgirl what do feed your 'color challenged crayon'?

I home cook for my crew, and he eats beef, pork, turkey, deer, and goat, for the main protein sources. Then I add veggies and some fruit, as well. I rotate with the different batches of food. They get more beef and pork than the others, but when friends are going hunting, and still have a couple of packages of deer left from last year in their freezer, I volunteer to take it. I also let them know I'll pick up anything that won't fit in the freezer if the entire family gets their quota while hunting.

I have one friend that raises Boer goats for show and sell. If one comes out less than show quality, as in off color, etc., I buy it as a young 'un, buy the hay, and she feeds it out and delivers it to be processed for me. Works when she wants to cull the older goats too!

PM me, if you want my basic recipe. (Or, if there is enough interest here, I'll try to put it in the thread. It is a .doc) I do some in a stock pot or dutch oven on the stove, but if the job has me working overtime, I use the crock-pot. I make batches, so can freeze some and have some in the fridge. I try to keep a 30 day supply in the freezer, in case I get ill, or some emergnecy comes up. I want enough to get through until I can feel like making another batch.

/ Dog pics #990  
Here is the best I can offer on recipe, as it doesn't seem to be something I can attach to a PM. It also won't let me upload the recipe using beef. :confused3: One can modify this, but just replacing the chicken with other meat proteins, as long as they are boneless. Hopefully this document will upload.