DOZER

/ DOZER #31  
Yeah, I guess those dozers are impressive enough for small equipment/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif--but follow this link to pictures of the bucket from the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.little-mountain.com/bigmuskie/bucket.html>Big Muskie</A> dragline being moved. The Muskie's stats:

Weight: 27 million lbs., or 13,500 tons
Bucket Capacity: 220 cubic yards, 325 tons (12 car garage)
Height: 222 ft., 6 in.
Length of the boom: 310 feet
Length of machine with boom down: 487 ft., 6 in.
Empty bucket weight: 230 tons
Width: 151 ft., 6 in., compare to an 8 lane highway!
Cable diameter: 5 in
Electrically powered: 13,800 volts
Mobility: hydraulically driven walking feet

My father worked in the coal fields and when I was a boy would take me to see the
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ranch/1201/mountaineer.html>Mountaineer</A> at work. It was next-to-nothing, at a mere 5.5 million pounds, but it seemed fairly big at the time. When the Muskie came on line in 1969, we made a trip down to see her--unbelievable!!/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

These machines destroyed a lot of mountains and it all probably could have been done different, but they were sure impressive sights.

/ DOZER #32  
Egon, did it look like the one I posted on page 1? Did you get to operate it? What was it like?

BrentB, Many thanks! I'd been looking for some web pics of the DEUCE. I have some in a book but not for here.

BTW, anyone with an interest in Cat machines owes it to themselves to get "Caterpilar Chronicles" by Eric C. Orlemann. Great book. I have no connection to the author but its the best source I've found that actually has decent pics of everything new and old.

/ DOZER #33  
Scott:
It was two regular D9's hooked back to front with a big ball type hitch. The operator sat on the front one. One set of controls for both units that were air operated. The front dozer had a push block rather than a blade.
I didn't operate any equipement other than a P/U and had that stuck most of the time.
Egon

/ DOZER #34  
Somthing like this? DD9 pushing a 666 scraper. Hmm thats about 1700hp on the screen. (sigh) /w3tcompact/icons/love.gif

Attachments

• 35-188624-DD9Gand666.jpg
    35-188624-DD9Gand666.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 368
   / DOZER #35  
It's not a D-11, but here's a pic of my pride & joy pushing some logs into the burn pile. It's a John Deere 550 with winch & 6 way blade. It was built in 1980, but only has 1550 hours. Came from the Oklahoma highway department and was used as a pipe layer, thus the low hours.

Dave Perry

Attachments

• 35-188658-dozerpic.jpg
    35-188658-dozerpic.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 295
   / DOZER #36  
Nice looking dozer for its year. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

/ DOZER #37  
Yes,, very nice looking dozer. Want to sell it?

Darin

/ DOZER #38  
That's it but they were pushing 641's

That loading sequence indicates the buggy is being overfilled. Pit boss not happy.

Egon

/ DOZER #39  
Pit boss not happy, I agree.
I have another pic of two quadtracks push loading one scraper (a 651 I think) but its 1kb too big. /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif

/ DOZER #40  
Just for kicks, here's a Euclid/Terrex TC12/8280 (brand/model depening on year) Twin engines, the sections pivot on a central "axle". Different anyway.

Attachments

• 35-188873-TerrexTC12.jpg
    35-188873-TerrexTC12.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 348