Hawgs on my land

/ Hawgs on my land #21  
I can't buy into that DNA change story. Just doesn't seem possible. Will look for some more info on that, but I also don't put much stock in NG anymore. Way too much enviro hype that they spew out with one objective in mind.

DNA just doesn't seem like it can change. Maybe something elsed changes, but not DNA.
But will check into it.

I believe wild animals do change. My buddy told me about a bunch of ferral cats that were messing in his yard. I was over one day and saw one. Noticebly larger than a domestic cat with a very large head.

/ Hawgs on my land #22  
From watching some shows on feral hogs on tv.....it's interesting to see those changes in the "hogs gone wild". I wonder how long it would take for the "hogs gone wild" to take on a domestic look again?....if ever? :confused:

/ Hawgs on my land #23  
Hogs are a real problem in East Texas. They started hitting me about 4 years ago. I fabricated a trap and have been trapping them since. So far no problems this year. But, I am sure they will visit. I keep looking for signs that they have been around.

Here is a picture of pasture damage. They have hit me in all pastures and house front and back yards. The momma with baby was sure mean.

Attachments

• IMG_0363 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0363 (Small).JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 1 (9).JPG
    1 (9).JPG
    88 KB · Views: 123
   / Hawgs on my land #24  
While most places have to worry about deer on the roads, we have hogs to worry about. I've seen several that have been hit by cars on the road I live on.

About 30 years ago my parents lived in Texas and my mom tore the exhaust system clean off her brand new Cadillac when she ran over a hog in the road.

I don't think she ever quit hearing jokes about that one.

/ Hawgs on my land #25  
This is a very interesting topic. Thanks, Eddie, for getting it started.

I saw what I assumed was a feral hog a couple of weeks ago while on a mountain bike ride in the Talladega National Forest (NE Alabama). I was quite a few miles from any farms, etc. so this hog was really surviving in the wild.

I'm very interested in any type of feral animal so I did a little research and found a couple of interesting links:

TexasBoars.com -- facts on wild feral hogs

Wikipedia on feral pigs

Regarding "DNA changing", I think that while it's clear that an individual's DNA won't change, the DNA of a population can change in at least two ways:

Interbreeding with Russian Wild Boar (see both links above) will produce "hybrids" (technically fertile members of the same species but commonly called hybrids).

Selective pressure on a population of pure domestic stock will, over time, produce a new strain more adapted to the wild.

/ Hawgs on my land #26  
they're real beauties -- i like the one with the spots.

to me, they're natural creatures in their habitat -- and best left that way.

pork isn't that good for you anyway -- too fatty -- let 'em live!

The ones around here are not natural but they are creatures. They have been here for years but are not native.

If you had ever seen what they can do to crops or property you would know why they have to be controlled. They can also, though not often, lose some of their fear of man, making them dangerous. Especially dangerous to children. Their is only one solution, kill as many as you can see. Lots of places around here can't even dent them with open season year round. I do all I can to kill them.

/ Hawgs on my land #27  
they're real beauties -- i like the one with the spots.

to me, they're natural creatures in their habitat -- and best left that way.

pork isn't that good for you anyway -- too fatty -- let 'em live!

Speaking like that in my part of Texas is fightin' words!

I work with/for a dairy in Comanche County, TX trapping and hunting hogs. So far this spring, over 100 acres of corn had to be replanted due to feral hog damage out of roughly 500 acres of corn.

This year everyone is planting corn, but last year everyone had sorghum. The dairy owners called me last August during harvest and wanted me to come shoot pigs. It was 1pm in August...it was 100 degrees....I couldn't figure out where I could find pigs to shoot in the heat of the day. I got there and learned what they were doing. The hogs were hiding in the sorghum. As the choppers went around, the hogs would make a run for the river and we were there to cut them off. By 5pm that day we had 7 hunters around the field heavily armed. In two days, just shy of 90 hogs were killed. The hogs had mowed down the sorghum in spots as large a truck. I was given free food, ammo, and beverages just to be there shooting pigs.

Hogs are a SERIOUS problem and all them should be killed. I do my part the best I can...AR15 with two 30 round clips always loaded and ready :thumbsup: