35mpsaw.jpg

152gu9v.jpg

358wg48.jpg

9iwr55.jpg

/ Road Runner #2  
something tells me you didn't need a Coyote ACME Rocket to catch-em ,:D

Last edited:
   / Road Runner
I see a lot of these in my area (Medina County Texas). I happened to have the camera ready in the passenger seat. These birds a so QUICK, that even with the camera (Nikon D40) on rapid fire, only caught these images, all others were just a blur.

/ Road Runner #5  
I used to occasionally see them in southern Oklahoma when I was a kid, then I didn't see any for many years and wondered whether they were all gone. But then, living in the west end of Navarro County (Texas) 1995 to 2002, we saw several every year, some within a hundred yards of our house.

And since the Roadrunner was my favorite cartoon character, my daughter did a 15" x 11.5" sketch of the Roadrunner on a pogo stick for me in 1979. It's still hanging on the wall right behind me now.:D

/ Road Runner #6  
I used to occasionally see them in southern Oklahoma when I was a kid, then I didn't see any for many years and wondered whether they were all gone. But then, living in the west end of Navarro County (Texas) 1995 to 2002, we saw several every year, some within a hundred yards of our house.

And since the Roadrunner was my favorite cartoon character, my daughter did a 15" x 11.5" sketch of the Roadrunner on a pogo stick for me in 1979. It's still hanging on the wall right behind me now.:D

Bird, how about horned toads (horny toads)? Used to see them here in the Nations as well but any more none can be found!?:confused: Maybe the roadrunners got them all!:laughing:

/ Road Runner #7  
Bird, how about horned toads (horny toads)? Used to see them here in the Nations as well but any more none can be found!?:confused: Maybe the roadrunners got them all!:laughing:

Yep, Jay, the horned toads used to be plentiful but I haven't seen one in many, many years. One thing I read (no idea whether it's true or not) is that their primary food was the big red ants which also used to be plentiful (much more so than we wanted anyway:D) and the fire ants have practically eliminated the native big red ants. Sounds like a logical theory to me, but may or may not be true.

/ Road Runner #8  
Yep, Jay, the horned toads used to be plentiful but I haven't seen one in many, many years. One thing I read (no idea whether it's true or not) is that their primary food was the big red ants which also used to be plentiful (much more so than we wanted anyway:D) and the fire ants have practically eliminated the native big red ants. Sounds like a logical theory to me, but may or may not be true.

Bird, According to the ODWC website you heard correct. They say the "theory" is that pesticide & insecticide usage has affected the ant population which in turn affected the toad (actually a lizard) population. Others to consider are the Oklahoma draught of 1980, lack of habitat & they used to be gathered up and sold to other parts of the country. They are protected in Texas and Oklahoma now.

/ Road Runner #9  
Just earlier this week while on vacation, my wife and I stopped in Kingman, Arizona to look at the Route 66 museum. We needed a break and went inside. They had pictures of wildlife, but no horned toads. I asked if they had them in that area and a fellow said they used to be plentiful there, but had disappeared. I next asked if they had fire ants and he said they did not. It seems the demise of the horned toad may be partially because of fire ants, but the loss of them and reduced numbers of quail seem to be related to other causes as well. I'm not sure what, but I really miss seeing horned toads and quail coveys everywhere. I'd sure like to know what killed them off.:confused3: