Critters captured on camera

/ Critters captured on camera #521  
Thought so. We have a small pond about 600 ft. from our house. A lot of poplars, brush, between the pnd and the house and then we have a thick patch of various firs in front of us. Started seeing these "stocky" birds flying back and forth between pond and firs and surprisingly the ID was "Green Heron". Any clue where these guys nest??

The male selects a secluded site within his territory, usually in a large fork of a tree or bush, with overhanging branches to conceal the nest. Green Herons use many plant species as nest sites pines, oaks, willows, box elder, cedar, honey locust, hickory, sassafrass, and mangroves. The nest is usually on or over the water, but may be up to a half-mile away. It may be anywhere from ground level to 30 feet off the ground (occasionally higher).

See the link above for the range map, and click on the "Life history" tab for more information. They look to be clumsy but can be remarkably aerobatic in flight. A very effifient predator and surprisingly smart. Smart enough to use bait, and even smart enough not to lose the bait! This behavior is not uncommon among these birds.
Check it out.
GREEN HERON CATCHING FISH_0001.wmv - YouTube

Smart Animals - YouTube

/ Critters captured on camera #522  
We have many Great Blue Herons around, they are completely clumsy when landing in trees too. More like they fly at them and land by running into the branches.

/ Critters captured on camera #525  
See the link above for the range map, and click on the "Life history" tab for more information. They look to be clumsy but can be remarkably aerobatic in flight. A very effifient predator and surprisingly smart. Smart enough to use bait, and even smart enough not to lose the bait! This behavior is not uncommon among these birds.
Check it out.

Smart Animals - YouTube
RB- Thx for info. I would also add these guys are quick flyers-when we first started seeing these things, vs the lumbering blues, it was hard to believe these were "herons"

/ Critters captured on camera #526  
Check it out.

Smart Animals - YouTube
RB- Thx for info. I would also add these guys are quick flyers-when we first started seeing these things, vs the lumbering blues, it was hard to believe these were "herons"

/ Critters captured on camera #527  

Papaya tree growing in my fence post.

I like that green heron! We have those around here every so often, but more common further south of us.
When I lived in Great Barrington- southern Bershires in Mass. I'd find the green herons in brush and tree lines between farm fields. There was a brook nearbye. I'd locate them by their call, then wait to see them.

/ Critters captured on camera #528  
   / Critters captured on camera #529  
Does it kill them?

I'm not sure. They have killed a couple of snakes that had just ate the balls, but haven't found any dead snakes with balls in them. But they live right on the edge of a big woods. There are lots of things out there that would eat the snakes.

Larro

/ Critters captured on camera #530