Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

Default Re: Moving A Building W/Pictures!

Well, I stopped by there on my way into work this morning and it is up in the lot, out of the street. It looks like they used one of the wheel loaders, the tracked loader and an army surplus semi tractor with a winch to pull it up over the curb and into the lot, as all three of them were there with the cables still attached. It looks like they might have used the second wheel loader to push from the street side. There were lots of tired looking guys drinking coffe and it was very quiet [img]/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

I took a picture and will post it from home tonight after work.

I also took some pictures of the army truck. The first time they moved the building back in 1988 they used it to winch the building out of the original basement. It was a very steep incline and they had to chain another army truck and a big tracked loader to it to keep it from slipping backwards, but its winch pulled the house out of the hole. I'll post that picture tonight as well. [img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Tractor
    1998 Kubota B21, 2005 Kubota L39

I always think it is amazing to watch a building moved and that was a big one. You sure would think the masonry would give way and especially on one that old.

An architect I do a lot of work for bought a house on a nice lot to put a new 1 mil house on the lot. We have gotten pretty short of good building lots in Atlanta proper so this is becoming pretty common. Anyway he had some country property that he wanted to build a vacation home on so he looked into moving this one that he planned to take down. The demolition cost and removal was going to run $13,000. A moving company took this house, about 1800 sq ft., and moved it, get this, 74 miles for $35,000. They even moved the masonry chimney in tact and the only damage was to some old plaster ceilings that were scheduled to be removed anyway. Pretty amazing what those moving companies can do.

MarkV

Tractor

Here's the picture of the army truck with the winches. Awsome beasty!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tractor

Here's the building as it sat this morning. The red truck, the tracked loader and one wheel loader still attached to the building with cables.

And I watched them later in the morning. They were indeed pulling with those three pieces of equipment and pushing from the street side with the other wheel loader.

And still no hard hats...

Today when I left downtown the building was sitting right next to its new foundation and they were picking up the cribbing from the old location, I assume, to move to the new location to build up the 'railroad' again to slide it over onto the foundation. That should take a while, so I'll post pics again when there is progress.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tractor
    New holland TC29-9x3 Woods 1012 FEL, Woods, 7500 Backhoe / Kubota L345DT 4WD, Kub FEL, Kub Backhoe

Thats a unique looking windsheild on that red truck.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD 1050 2wd, Case 580D 2wd

Looks like a 5 tonner...

must be a bad neighborhood at night to have that kind of plating...

Tractor
    John Deere 790

Thanks again for the awesome pics MR. I'll have to swing by there again to take a look. Was that red truck made in South Bend by chance? Didn't they make those at the AM General plant on Chippewa [img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Tractor
    JCB165HF

Evidently Russ they've found leaving glass exposed in some neighborhoods isn't smart.[img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Overseas the imediate management (NCO's) found out I was cut from a different cloth than all my compatriots. So to keep from contaminating the pool you might say they assigned me a five ton like that for hauling supplies from base to the current project.

The law of the road at that time in that place was size mattered. Few rigs were bigger than a five ton. So I ran the middle of the road and everything smaller paid the price and moved over. But occasionally there would be another five ton with the same attitude.

I broke three or so left side mirrors at speed in encounters like that!

That truck tought me the benefits of four wheel drive. When you finally get them stuck, you're stuck.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    1952 Case DC-4, 2001 JD4300 MFWD, HST

Cool truck[img]/w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif[/img] (insert Tim Allen grunt here). I'm betting that the plate over the windshield is to protect the operator from flying projectiles in the case of a broken cable on the front winch. You can see a similar plate on the headache rack behind the cab for protection from the rear winch. If any liability lawyers were involved in the design of the windshield plate there would also be a big sign on the inside of the plate (in at least four languages) stating that the shield must be in the open position when the vehicle is in motion.[img]/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Tractor

I don't think there is any glass in the side windows either.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast