Frankenstein Hose Reel

/ Frankenstein Hose Reel #11  
Nice patch job! I think you missed adding a little bit of duct tape though.

The hose mower thing is a story in temptation. I frequently mow 'over' our hoses rather than pick them up. It's lazy and dumb, but, well, I do it. I guess that makes me ......

/ Frankenstein Hose Reel
I guess that makes me ......

...just like the rest of us.;):D

I now have three new reels I ordered from Amazon. I put one together yesterday and mounted it near a spigot where I've just been rolling up my hose on the ground. I think I won't replace the one I fixed with the metal straps. Everytime I look at it I'm reminded that I need to either move the hose or use my noggin a bit better when I'm mowing.:eek:

/ Frankenstein Hose Reel #13  
I am a little confused. Your pics seem to show the 'before' the incident. Where are the 'after' that look so bad?

Just moved into a new place, the goats only have an old maytag (wringer) washer body to drink out of yet so your repair (?) looked pretty good to me, glad to hear you kept it.

/ Frankenstein Hose Reel #14  
Just moved into a new place, the goats only have an old maytag (wringer) washer body to drink out of yet .

Now THAT is spectacular!!!! :thumbsup:

/ Frankenstein Hose Reel
I am a little confused. Your pics seem to show the 'before' the incident. Where are the 'after' that look so bad?

Just moved into a new place, the goats only have an old maytag (wringer) washer body to drink out of yet so your repair (?) looked pretty good to me, glad to hear you kept it.

Well, I think you are kidding because surely you can see the Simpson metal straps holding it together.;) It's still working perfectly and the pressure swivel doesn't leak a drop. I bought three more of those online and put one of them together for another hose and my wife loves it.

Does your Maytag wringer washer still have the agitator in it? That would make a great picture with the goats drinking out of it.

. . .and speaking of goats. I've attached the best goat picture I ever took. This still cracks me up everytime I look at it.

Attachments

• Closer (4).jpg
    Closer (4).jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 136
   / Frankenstein Hose Reel #16  
speaking of goats. I've attached the best goat picture I ever took

Well, it does say that objects in the mirror are closer than they appear.:laughing:

/ Frankenstein Hose Reel #17  
That is a good goat pic. Reminds me of my grandpa. He used to love to take us to the game park nearby where you could drive your car through past giraffes, zebras, monkeys, the whole works. There were signs everywhere not to feed the animals but of course grandpa had to feed them. Once, he rolled the window down in and a giraffe stuck about 5 feet of his neck right in the car. It's tongue was about 16 inches long and all goobery and it licked my grancpa and he was in a panic. It was so funny. He rolled the window up so fast I thought he was going to chop the giraffe's head off. LOL

/ Frankenstein Hose Reel #18  
...just like the rest of us.;):D

I now have three new reels I ordered from Amazon. I put one together yesterday and mounted it near a spigot where I've just been rolling up my hose on the ground. I think I won't replace the one I fixed with the metal straps. Everytime I look at it I'm reminded that I need to either move the hose or use my noggin a bit better when I'm mowing.:eek:

Just curious - are the new ones of the same (or close) quality as the one that broke?

Funny about your post - I just replaced the same reel last week - well over 10 years old - it was the free standing one, and the base had cracked. Still fully functional (and your post would have been excellent repair idea), but wanted a wall mount, so got a Suncast from the box store. No way this new one will hold up.

I have always been pretty happy with the Jackson/Ames/True Temper products

/ Frankenstein Hose Reel
Just curious - are the new ones of the same (or close) quality as the one that broke?

The new reels seem to be at least as good as the old ones, but the color scheme is reversed and they don't come with quick-connects to hook on the spigot like the original did. The new one I installed has a dripping leak at the swivel, but it doesn't always leak and seems to be getting slower over time. I could probably take it apart and grease the o-ring, but it's not enough to worry about really.

I saw the Suncast brand when I ordered my Ames. Suncast was almost $10 cheaper for each reel, but I decided to pay for the Ames because I knew what I was getting and had good luck with my original two reels.

/ Frankenstein Hose Reel #20  
I just went through a similar ordeal with finding a replacement hose reel I could live with. I had an Aames that was about seven years old that finally broke. I had always been satisfied with it and especially liked the fixed reel handle. The only replacements I could find in box stores (or local hardware stores for that matter) were the Suncast brand that have the foldable reel handle. I seriously doubt the folding handle is for my benefit as much as it is easier for Suncast to ship them without the handle sticking out. I have owned the folding handle in the past and the plastic piece that holds the handle out always breaks and makes it very difficult to roll the hose up. I bought one from Amazon for $40 and just like Jinman's, my colors are reversed from what they were on the old one.