Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Epic Contributor
    R.I.P.
    Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

Default Frankenstein Hose Reel

I guess I should call it "Franken-reel." I have two plastic hose reels that are my all-time favorites. I installed one on my wellhouse over 10 years ago and another on one of my outside faucets on my house. Evidently they have quit making this exact model because I can't find it anymore. What I like is the hose fairlead that lets you easily control the hose as it goes onto the reel. I've also had very little problems with leaks from the swivel joints.

Well, I had the hose stretched across my driveway to garden a couple of weeks ago when I was using my rotary cutter on my tractor. Without thinking, I didn't stop the cutter or lift it enough and just managed to catch the hose. It was so violent it broke the shearbolt in the cutter and ripped the front of my favorite hose reel apart. I almost cried...

After looking at the reel and thinking about it, I decided to try a few Simpson fasteners and sheet metal screws to make the repair. Son-of-a-gun! It turned out to be very strong and functions just like it did before. I know it's ugly, but even my wife said it's "great."

What do you think? Do I need to proudly display it or go buy a replacement that isn't the same?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -frankenreel-01-jpg   -frankenreel-02-jpg  
    Jim

Tractor
    John Deere 2240 MFWD

Default Re: Frankenstein Hose Reel

If it works...
    ...I say to roll with it.

No sense spending money to replace something which " ain't broke no mo' ".
    Cyril

JD 2240 MFWD (with duels now)
    145 FEL, 8ft Rear blade (now I need a 12ft blade)

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

you did a great job but go buy a new one just in case, here my wife found them for you.
    James
    K0UA

Amazon.com: Ames True Temper 2388700 Hose King Hose Reel: Patio…
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Epic Contributor
    R.I.P.
    Tractor

Well, I had looked for it in box stores, but just searched online to find it is still available for about $50 to $60. If this one breaks again, I know where to buy a new one.

Maybe I need to take a picture of it and send it to this website.

There I Fixed It - Redneck Repairs
    Jim

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Jinman, I dont think your repair can hold a candle to the guy with the lawn mower half in/half out of his trunk

your repair was fine, just thought if you wanted a new one, .....
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

Boy...you can tell you weren't an Aviation Metalsmith!!

Anyway, the repairs are functional, if not pretty...but beauty is in the eye of the beholder....so, if you're happy, we're happy!
    And, Boris Karloff would be proud!
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Jinma 284(Spirit fel), MF 135 (MF200 fel)

I thought I was going to see a homemade hose reel from the parts of others
    I am beginning to hate hose reels and have gone back to buckets mounted about five feet high on posts to hold hose. I have that same hose reel mounted on the wall and use it only for storage
    I wonder if the harbour freight plastic welder would fix it?

Epic Contributor
    R.I.P.
    Tractor

I found them available on Amazon and ordered three. I'll replace the broken one and mount another one in a new place beside an outside spigot. The third one will go in storage as backup. This reel has lasted 10 years and I consider that good value for something that is 95% plastic. I bought an all metal roll-around reel and it has always leaked at the swivel, but these Ames reels don't leak.
    Jim

The repair looks good, Jim, but you didn't say how much hose your destroyed. The last time I ran over a hose mowing, it was naturally my newest and longest garden hose, used to water the garden.
    Bird

Epic Contributor
    R.I.P.
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    The repair looks good, Jim, but you didn't say how much hose your destroyed.
    Bird, I think I chewed up about 20' of a 120' long hose. It came out from under the mower by itself, all balled up in a horrible looking knot with multple gashes and abrasions. If it had been a cheap hose, it probably would have just been cut to shreds, but it was a good quality rubber hose. I think it was as old as the reel (10 years) and 100' of it is still good after I put a brass splice into it. This is the 2nd hose to fall victim to my rotary cutter. The other one was near our old garden on Kathy's place before we sold it.
    Jim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast