Frankenstein Hose Reel

/ Frankenstein Hose Reel #1  

jinman

Rest in Peace
Tractor
NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee
I guess I should call it "Franken-reel." I have two plastic hose reels that are my all-time favorites. I installed one on my wellhouse over 10 years ago and another on one of my outside faucets on my house. Evidently they have quit making this exact model because I can't find it anymore. What I like is the hose fairlead that lets you easily control the hose as it goes onto the reel. I've also had very little problems with leaks from the swivel joints.:thumbsup:

Well, I had the hose stretched across my driveway to garden a couple of weeks ago when I was using my rotary cutter on my tractor. Without thinking, I didn't stop the cutter or lift it enough and just managed to catch the hose. It was so violent it broke the shearbolt in the cutter and ripped the front of my favorite hose reel apart.:shocked: I almost cried...:ashamed:

After looking at the reel and thinking about it, I decided to try a few Simpson fasteners and sheet metal screws to make the repair. Son-of-a-gun! It turned out to be very strong and functions just like it did before. I know it's ugly, but even my wife said it's "great.":D

What do you think? Do I need to proudly display it or go buy a replacement that isn't the same?

Attachments

• FrankenReel-01.jpg
    FrankenReel-01.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 598
  • FrankenReel-02.jpg
    FrankenReel-02.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 479
   / Frankenstein Hose Reel #2  
If it works...
...I say to roll with it.:thumbsup:

No sense spending money to replace something which " ain't broke no mo' ".:D

/ Frankenstein Hose Reel
Well, I had looked for it in box stores, but just searched online to find it is still available for about $50 to $60. If this one breaks again, I know where to buy a new one.

Maybe I need to take a picture of it and send it to this website.

There I Fixed It - Redneck Repairs

/ Frankenstein Hose Reel #5  
Jinman, I dont think your repair can hold a candle to the guy with the lawn mower half in/half out of his trunk:laughing:

your repair was fine, just thought if you wanted a new one, .....:thumbsup:

/ Frankenstein Hose Reel #6  
Boy...you can tell you weren't an Aviation Metalsmith!!

Anyway, the repairs are functional, if not pretty...but beauty is in the eye of the beholder....so, if you're happy, we're happy!
And, Boris Karloff would be proud!

/ Frankenstein Hose Reel #7  
I thought I was going to see a homemade hose reel from the parts of others:eek:
I am beginning to hate hose reels and have gone back to buckets mounted about five feet high on posts to hold hose. I have that same hose reel mounted on the wall and use it only for storage:mad:
I wonder if the harbour freight plastic welder would fix it?

/ Frankenstein Hose Reel
I found them available on Amazon and ordered three. I'll replace the broken one and mount another one in a new place beside an outside spigot. The third one will go in storage as backup. This reel has lasted 10 years and I consider that good value for something that is 95% plastic. I bought an all metal roll-around reel and it has always leaked at the swivel, but these Ames reels don't leak.

/ Frankenstein Hose Reel #9  
The repair looks good, Jim, but you didn't say how much hose your destroyed.:laughing: The last time I ran over a hose mowing, it was naturally my newest and longest garden hose, used to water the garden.

/ Frankenstein Hose Reel
The repair looks good, Jim, but you didn't say how much hose your destroyed.:laughing:

Bird, I think I chewed up about 20' of a 120' long hose. It came out from under the mower by itself, all balled up in a horrible looking knot with multple gashes and abrasions. If it had been a cheap hose, it probably would have just been cut to shreds, but it was a good quality rubber hose. I think it was as old as the reel (10 years) and 100' of it is still good after I put a brass splice into it. This is the 2nd hose to fall victim to my rotary cutter.:eek: The other one was near our old garden on Kathy's place before we sold it.