Mantis and the dragonfly

/ Mantis and the dragonfly #1  

nickel plate

Veteran Member
Tractor
2002 New Holland TC40S
This took place on a stretch of fencing just behind the cabin at a friend's ranch near Lake Berryessa, CA. We were just kicking back during a week of Dove and Deeer hunting, sharing a hot afternoon with a few cool ones. The mantis started stalking the perched dragonfly from about three feet between each other. We were all sitting about eight feet away watching the mantis slowly creep up on it's prey for about ten minutes, all of which I thought the dragon fly would spook and fly off. It wasn't until the capture that I went and got my camera so not to interfere with the hunt in progress. The mantis ate the whole dragonfly less the wings that were bitten off and drifted down to the ground for the ants to feed on.

Attachments

• PB020003.JPG
    PB020003.JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 312
  • PB020004.JPG
    PB020004.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 204
  • PB020005.JPG
    PB020005.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 236
  • PB020006.JPG
    PB020006.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 253
   / Mantis and the dragonfly #2  
I got bit in the back of my neck by a mantis around 1990. Hurt for two days. I still remember it like it was last week.

/ Mantis and the dragonfly #3  
I never knew what Mantis eat, and never heard of one biting a human.

/ Mantis and the dragonfly
It was like watching Gumby eating a biplane.

/ Mantis and the dragonfly #5  
I've seen a few over the summer. If they're out in the open I'll move them to a tree where a bird isn't likely to see them. It's interesting to pick one up. Move your hand slowly close to it and watch it swivel its head to see what's happening. They'll slowly walk up on your hand. Never had one try to bite. They do look ferocious for an insect.

/ Mantis and the dragonfly #6  
I think a mantis is the only insect that can move it's head. russ

/ Mantis and the dragonfly #7  
I'm thinkin you did'nt get the big buck or the photo's might have been a little different

/ Mantis and the dragonfly #8  
Nice mantis and dragonfly pictures!:thumbsup:

I caught this mantis having a snack over 10 years ago with my first digital camera. I've always liked this photo.:)

Attachments

• Yummy.jpg
    Yummy.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 235
   / Mantis and the dragonfly #9  
There were some pics floating around on the internet with a mantis killing a hummingbird

Google