A question regarding purple wood.

/ A question regarding purple wood. #1  

RealDogBoy

Tractor
Kubota L1500
I've never seen wood this color. It really is purple. The color is more striking in person than in this photo (taken just after the wood was split).

purple-wood-1.JPG

The tree in question has been dead for a long time -- in February of '09 when I got the place the tree looked quite dead. There is no bark or leaves.

Does anybody know what kind of tree this is? I'm curious since the color is so odd.

/ A question regarding purple wood. #2  
I have cedar trees with purple heartwood, and I have seen Mesquite wood with different colored heartwood which sometimes is purpleish, although usually much more red than purple.

/ A question regarding purple wood. #3  
I have cedar trees with purple heartwood, and I have seen Mesquite wood with different colored heartwood which sometimes is purpleish, although usually much more red than purple.

There is also a species of tree in the Leguminosae family that has a deep purple heart. It is native to Central and South America, but I guess you might find some transported north. Purpleheart Wood: Why it is a great wood to use for..

/ A question regarding purple wood. #4  
I've never seen wood this color. It really is purple. The color is more striking in person than in this photo (taken just after the wood was split).

purple-wood-1.JPG

The tree in question has been dead for a long time -- in February of '09 when I got the place the tree looked quite dead. There is no bark or leaves.

Does anybody know what kind of tree this is? I'm curious since the color is so odd.

Box Elder, aka Ashleaf Maple, aka Manitoba Maple

Acer Negundo

/ A question regarding purple wood. #5  
Could also be Black Walnut. I cut one down and it had that but it was slightly more brown than purple, but with purple in it.

This quote from an article on black walnut : "The sapwood is creamy white and may be three inches wide. Heartwood is a rich chocolate or purplish brown in colour, with a dull sheen. Black walnut is normally straight grained and is noted for its beautiful grain character, producing more figure variation than any other wood. Over the years the wood develops a lustrous patina. It is the only dark brown domestic species, so it has a large following of devoted woodworkers, that enjoy its rich colour and ease of use."

/ A question regarding purple wood. #6  
Smurfwood?

/ A question regarding purple wood. #8  
The grain sure looks like cedar to me. Is there a cedar smell?

Steve

/ A question regarding purple wood. #9  
Looks a lot like Yew to me. I've cut down a lot of large Taxus bushes and the wood looks just like that. Taxus is the shrub form of the Yew tree.

/ A question regarding purple wood. #10  
you are south US so it is Eastern Red Cedar!!!!
Juniperus virginiana