Woodworking pics (canes and walking sticks)

/ Woodworking pics (canes and walking sticks) #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
There was a post on here awhile back about not being enough pics of projets posted.

So I figured I post some pics of one of my latest hobbies.

I take branches from trees and make canes and walking sticks out of them. It is very enjoyable and relaxing.

So far, I havent found anything that turns out as good as beech when just done naturally. Unfortunatally I dont have any pics of the beech.

So without further ado, in the first two pics, from top to bottom, we have a European Alder with just polyurethane, next is ASH that was flamed and then coated, after that we have a mulburry with a little stain and then coating, last is a walnut with a little stain and coating. So far, everything I have tried with the exception of beech, just looks like white-wood pine once the bark is off. So I had to do something to give them a little character.

The next two pics are a peice of white oak that was oilsoaked and then coated. Last two are loctus that was flamed and then coated.

Camera phone pics just dont do them justice but it is the best I got.

Attachments

• Dec11_0011.jpg
    Dec11_0011.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 200
  • Dec11_0012.jpg
    Dec11_0012.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 147
  • Dec11_0013.jpg
    Dec11_0013.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 164
  • Dec11_0014.jpg
    Dec11_0014.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 128
  • Dec11_0015.jpg
    Dec11_0015.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 219
  • Dec11_0016.jpg
    Dec11_0016.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 231
   / Woodworking pics (canes and walking sticks) #2  
Thanks for the pics and the reminder because I've been waiting for someone to give me some ideas of what to do with mine.

About 15 years ago I was driving out of a lease road and for some reason spotted this limb up in an Osage Orange (Bodark) tree. It was a perfect height to stand on the pickup tool box and cut. And as I was leaving I did say "thanks old Bodark tree".

I haven't used it except for a day I was determined to attend an auction with a bad back. But the days of more use are fast approaching and what I really like about it I can lean my forearm on it to rest because it is 46 inches long and the natural curve acts as a spring for my older bones. I could see the leaner part while still on the tree and that's what caught my eye.

One thing about these sticks each one is unique.

So with your information and pics I have some ideas. Thanks, SandburRanch

Attachments

• MVC-001F.JPG
    MVC-001F.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 151
  • MVC-003F.JPG
    MVC-003F.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 137
  • MVC-002F.JPG
    MVC-002F.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 114
   / Woodworking pics (canes and walking sticks)
I wish I could find some nice branches like that. I've been through all om my 5 acres and I am about out of sticks to use.

I guess I'll have to wait till I get back out cutting and clearing fencerows.

I think my favorite is the way flamming makes them look. It really gives them character. I just use the propane torches. It kinda gives them that adged look:D

/ Woodworking pics (canes and walking sticks) #4  
Good Evenin LD1,
Hey those are really nice !!! The poly really makes them look sharp !

Are you putting a rubber foot on the end, to make them skid proof ?

I bought a black thorn cane for my wife a few years back, not because she needs a cane but she is very Irish ! :) She loves to go walking with it !

Keep up the good work, a nice hobby indeed !

/ Woodworking pics (canes and walking sticks)
Good Evenin LD1,
Hey those are really nice !!! The poly really makes them look sharp !

Are you putting a rubber foot on the end, to make them skid proof ?

I bought a black thorn cane for my wife a few years back, not because she needs a cane but she is very Irish ! :) She loves to go walking with it !

Keep up the good work, a nice hobby indeed !

NO rubber foots yet. Dad did a couple of canes this summer and he did turn them down and put a foot on them.

/ Woodworking pics (canes and walking sticks) #6  
I find "beaver" sticks along the creek that runs thru our place. All sizes and types, what ever the beavers were peeling. Some of them make good staffs. No two are alike.
Thanks for the ideas.....