ID this snake

/ ID this snake #1  

johnk

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota GST Grand L3130 w/ 723 loader, Ags
This snake was apprx 18 inches long and I found him under a rock. I live in Western NY. Can't seem to find a match on an internet search. It looked out of the ordinary to me that's why I took the pics.............??????

Attachments

• Snake.jpg
    Snake.jpg
    337.2 KB · Views: 549
  • snake1.jpg
    snake1.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 380
  • snake3.jpg
    snake3.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 449
   / ID this snake #2  
Looks like an off colored ribbon or garter snake. neat color.

/ ID this snake
It is strange because the head is a different color than the rest of it. Has no rings or distinquishing features and i can't find one similar under the snakes of NY.

/ ID this snake #5  
I've seen them in my area too. As Western mentioned, they are very similar looking to a garter snake, but they are much more aggressive. I've had them strike at me as if they are poisonous, but they don't have the triangular shaped head of most poisonous snakes with fangs. All the ones I've seen have been fairly small, less than a foot long. Can't help with a name.

/ ID this snake #6  
Juvenile brown snake mentioned a ring at neck- adult brown snake doesn't have it.

/ ID this snake #8  
It looks like the Brown snake but I cannot see any spots on the torso. It does look like the common garter snake though and I have a lot of them around my property. Brown snakes even a juvenile as should have some brown spots along the torso. If you go to Wikipedia it will give you some helpful identifying tips