I finally got a mountain lion!

/ I finally got a mountain lion! #11  
Someone else had a pic of one recently,
Man those things are just not something you think off seeing on this continent!

They are down right scary looking, But I guess by the fact that they are so rarely seen, they're not out looking to tangle with man and society.

JB

/ I finally got a mountain lion! #12  
Someone else had a pic of one recently,
Man those things are just not something you think off seeing on this continent!

They are down right scary looking, But I guess by the fact that they are so rarely seen, they're not out looking to tangle with man and society.

JB

Not necessarily true. When I lived in Orange County CA a few years ago, a guy on a mountain bike was killed by a couger in one of the county wilderness parks (8 years ago this month) near Lake Forest. My son and I hiked trails in that park 4 days before the attack. Big fires in the Santa Ana mountains a few months earlier destroyed a lot of habitat and apparently drove the cat down to lower elevations to hunt food. Cougers--nice to look at, but keep your distance.

/ I finally got a mountain lion! #13  
Great pics. Congratulations!!!!

The only one that I've seen out in the wild was in Kennedy Meadows, up near Yosemite on the North side of the park. I was scouting an area to deer hunt with a buddy of mine and we where watching about a dozen deer on the side of a mountain. All of a sudden, the deer just vanished. We where comparing bucks and talking to each other, so when it happened, we didn't see it. They where all just gone. Then then thing appeared and glided across the side of the mountain. At first, I couldn't figure out what it was. The tail was too long for a coyote and it moved so smoothly, kind of like a snake. Then it hit me that it was a lion!!! We both sort of freaked. He had seen one before and that was my first one. It went from left to right, and down a little. We watched it for a couple of minutes and then it was gone. Five minutes later, the deer where back out in the open, like they where before. It was surreal.

Eddie

/ I finally got a mountain lion! #14  
Those are fantastic pics! They are incredible creatures and while I wouldn't want to stumble upon one, it would be amazing to see one from afar.

/ I finally got a mountain lion!
The camera is programmed to take five pics in five seconds, rest for five seconds and start over. I'm not overwhelmed with the quality of the night time photos with infrared invisible flash but this camera has a widely known reputation for its miss nothing that comes in front of it. Their company statement is "SEE WHAT YOU'VE BEEN MISSING..."
Here are a few more with the camera bear boxed to the same tree and pointing at the same slope with a very active but non-baited game trail.

Attachments

• 12.26.11.1.JPG
    12.26.11.1.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 203
  • 12.30.11.1.JPG
    12.30.11.1.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 208
  • 2084689.jpg
    2084689.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 210
  • 2086107.jpg
    2086107.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_0038.JPG
    IMG_0038.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 226
  • 2086120.jpg
    2086120.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 202
  • 2086114.jpg
    2086114.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 226
  • 2086099.jpg
    2086099.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0035.JPG
    IMG_0035.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 186
   / I finally got a mountain lion! #16  

JB

Well now that depends... In Colorado, we had several attacks some years ago (though of course it's happenstance that they occurred around the same time). Not that the cats were looking for it, but you need to make sure you don't look like prey if they're in the area and might view you as an opportunity. IIRC, a couple of joggers, and some young kids on a mountain trail.

Now more recently, you can see what kind of pet you need for protection from just such an eventuality (pictures and story at first link... video at second link):
Photos: Mountain Lion and Cat in Boulder | Denver Post Media Center ? Denver, Colorado, Photos and Video
Close Encounter Photographer Speaks: Maine Coon Cat Meets Mountain Lion | Life With Cats

Moral of the story: Watch out f'er them Maine Coon cats!!! :thumbsup:
-Mitch

/ I finally got a mountain lion! #17  
Great shots. I call that an active game trail. Quite a variety.:thumbsup:

/ I finally got a mountain lion! #18  
Can't debate cold hard facts..outstanding find congrats.

/ I finally got a mountain lion! #19  
Great shots. Impressive looking cat. Love to see one someday.

/ I finally got a mountain lion! #20  
For the OP: what type/brand of game camera? What kind of digital storage and how is it triggered (motion, etc or just timed)?