Oliver tractor with MMM

/ Oliver tractor with MMM
Mark, the engine is a 10.5 HP Kohler and just purrs. It also has an electric PTO that has been completely trouble-free. Sometimes I think I'm the "King" of project tractors because I also have an early-'70s Gilson Hydro-16 (16 hp Briggs) that I really like. Of course, the problem is getting parts and right now I have a pretty badly damaged deck spindle quill shaft on the Gilson. You gotta love tinkering with stuff to have one of these old tractors. I do most of my mowing chores with a fairly new MTD that I can still get all the parts for. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Oliver tractor with MMM #12  
Thanks, Jim.

I got a couple projects, actually. As soon as I get organized (only been here 17 years), me & the boys are going to play lawn tractor resoration and see if they like it much. Seems like there are a lot of resources on the web with people doing the same. It's satisfying to take something considered junk by most and bring it back - especially if it is well made, which it looks like with the Oliver. I'm just learning, but I hear the Kohlers have a good reputation.

/ Oliver tractor with MMM #13  
<font color="blue"> 50# of tools in the neat box </font>
Toolbox ?? I thought it was a lunchbox ... guess that explains my belly /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif pretty cool tho'

/ Oliver tractor with MMM #14  
Hi,

Wow I'm amazed! Did Oliver and Ford share the same tractors or parts suppllier? My Ford LGT145 which was also made around 72 has the same exact MMM. The body of your tractor is also very much a like the LGT145!! This is just Amazing!
Jeez I whish I had digital camera so I could post some pictures! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sylvain

/ Oliver tractor with MMM #15  
I love Google...

ford_lgt145.JPG

Found here, to give credit where due.

/ Oliver tractor with MMM #16  
Hi,

Yeah cool! Although I'm a bit puzzled... The front grill and the side panels dosen't at all like what I have on my LGT145... Humm... Has this tractor been rebuilt?

Sylvain

/ Oliver tractor with MMM #17  
Here's another one from this site with open sides. It's at the bottom of the page (after you fight with the pop ups). That's kind of a neat site for old L&G pictures.

FordLTG145.jpg

Sylvain, I think there is a good chance that your Ford and my Oliver might have the same supplier. My deck was made by White Equipment Co. in Ontario, Canada (or that's what the ID tag says; see attachment). The mower was made by Jacobsen for Oliver. Many mowers in that era used similar parts like the button-release deck height adjustment lever. I've seen a similar lever on several mowers. The rear platform and seat are also very similar to the Ford and to some early Cub Cadets I have seen. One additional point about the mower deck. I've never seen another deck which is as easy to install/remove as this Oliver deck. It takes less than a minute to attach. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Attachments

• 267940-Deck-ID-Tag.JPG
    267940-Deck-ID-Tag.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 219
Mark, I've seen that site before and even have a bookmark on my desktop for it, but you are correct that the pop-ups will drive you nuts. Another site that has a nice layout and not popups is Oliver Gang . This site has several photo galleries that are well done and easy to navigate because of the many thumbnails. Also, I'm attaching a copy of a photo sent to me by Duane Starr who is a retired Olive dealer. He has similar restored mowers and his collection includes a White and Cockshutt model lawn tractors which are almost identical to the Oliver. They are all called "Town & Country" models.

Attachments

• 267945-DuaneStarrCollection.JPG
    267945-DuaneStarrCollection.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 1,650
   / Oliver tractor with MMM #20  
knucklehead,

Yeah that's the one! I wonder how much it would be wort these days... Since I will get my new 4110 this month /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif , the old LGT145 is probably going to be sold! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Sylvain