Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Elite Member blueriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,316
    Location
    S.E.Oklahoma
    Tractor
    JD 5520 Montana 4340 Farmall Super C

    Default Does fertilize pay off?

    Here's a couple pictures ... the second is in an area where I turned around and the buggy missed it ... same field. I'm 6'2 so you can compare.

    The back ground of the first picture is a 5 acre mule pasture with no fertilize.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -101_7718-jpg   -101_7719-jpg  
    "When selling a lifetime ... don't sell it short"
    auctioneer@southernauctionco.com

  2. #2
    Bronze Member kfvintx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    68
    Tractor
    JD 4105

    Default Re: Does fertilize pay off?

    Wow! Can't show results any better than that.

    Of course, I'm really kicking myself now because I've been putting off fertilizer so far this year thinking wait and see how it starts looking. I have more of an issue with weeds right now to get under control before I start fertilizing.

  3. #3
    Elite Member blueriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,316
    Location
    S.E.Oklahoma
    Tractor
    JD 5520 Montana 4340 Farmall Super C

    Default Re: Does fertilize pay off?

    Quote Originally Posted by kfvintx View Post
    Wow! Can't show results any better than that.

    Of course, I'm really kicking myself now because I've been putting off fertilizer so far this year thinking wait and see how it starts looking. I have more of an issue with weeds right now to get under control before I start fertilizing.
    A few years ago I had the weed issue ... so I started using liquid fertilize with a pint to the acre of Grazon. I would rotate that ... one year liquid, the next granular ... now with the weeds under control its all granular.

    Forecast is looking like a window may open with no rain chances next Tues, Wed, Thurs and Friday ... if it holds I've got 160 acres ready to cut. The cutters are ready as well as all the other equipment ... I'll do most of the cutting at night and bale during the day.
    "When selling a lifetime ... don't sell it short"
    auctioneer@southernauctionco.com

  4. #4
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,346
    Location
    Wise county Texas
    Tractor
    Kioti DK 35 now

    Default Re: Does fertilize pay off?

    Looks great! I posted just a bit ago on your thread wondering. Is that winter grass/ rye/oats?

    To get rid of weeds, I always used liquid on the 1st fertilization each year, also with 2,4-D, then followed after each cutting with the granular. I also tried to burn my fields off each March if the weather cooperated.

    BR, looks great, you may get as much the 1st cut as allot of folks got all of last year.
    Dennis


    "Winter 2013 a majority of the country is setting new cold records, Colorado is setting new record HIGH's"

    "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."

  5. #5
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,181
    Location
    Barrington, NH
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT230

    Default Re: Does fertilize pay off?

    Assuming it's fertilizer, it sure looks like it does!

    Of course that low spot could be a vernal pool, or underlying ledge, or maybe too much roundup last year, or a number of other factors.

  6. #6
    Bronze Member kfvintx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    68
    Tractor
    JD 4105

    Default Re: Does fertilize pay off?

    Quote Originally Posted by blueriver View Post
    A few years ago I had the weed issue ... so I started using liquid fertilize with a pint to the acre of Grazon. I would rotate that ... one year liquid, the next granular ... now with the weeds under control its all granular.
    That's pretty much my plan for right now. As I am just getting into this though I'm trying to piece together a spray rig to get me started. Probably going with simple boomless setup just to get started. I just need to get it sprayed for now.

    And congratulations on getting started with Hay Buddy. I've talked to you briefly about it before and still have plans to maybe stop by and see when passing through later this fall.

    Good luck with weather window

  7. #7
    Elite Member blueriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,316
    Location
    S.E.Oklahoma
    Tractor
    JD 5520 Montana 4340 Farmall Super C

    Default Re: Does fertilize pay off?

    Quote Originally Posted by Western View Post
    Looks great! I posted just a bit ago on your thread wondering. Is that winter grass/ rye/oats?

    To get rid of weeds, I always used liquid on the 1st fertilization each year, also with 2,4-D, then followed after each cutting with the granular. I also tried to burn my fields off each March if the weather cooperated.

    BR, looks great, you may get as much the 1st cut as allot of folks got all of last year.
    That is winter rye grass and the spring clover went nuts in it this year. Should be a heck of a good cutting.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Zinj View Post
    Assuming it's fertilizer, it sure looks like it does!

    Of course that low spot could be a vernal pool, or underlying ledge, or maybe too much roundup last year, or a number of other factors.
    Well could be other factors .. I don't think so cause the rest of that field is the same (except where I turned)

    Quote Originally Posted by kfvintx View Post
    That's pretty much my plan for right now. As I am just getting into this though I'm trying to piece together a spray rig to get me started. Probably going with simple boomless setup just to get started. I just need to get it sprayed for now.

    And congratulations on getting started with Hay Buddy. I've talked to you briefly about it before and still have plans to maybe stop by and see when passing through later this fall.

    Good luck with weather window
    My sprayer is the boomless setup and I like it ... I need to move up from the 125 gallons to about a 500 gallon pull type.

    The Hay Buddy is doing well ... another set just left to Waco and a set ships next week to Kansas ... hope you make it this way!!!
    "When selling a lifetime ... don't sell it short"
    auctioneer@southernauctionco.com

  8. #8
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    528
    Location
    Westmoreland County PA
    Tractor
    Fords

    Default Re: Does fertilize pay off?

    What kind of grass are we looking at? Have you ever tried to do a cost analysis factoring the cost of fertilizer and the increased productivity compared to what your productivity would be without fertilizer and the extra cost?

    Another question for you. How do you determine when to replant versus just fertilize? I'll be glad to help you with painting if you can help me with haying. We have been farming for generations. I am just trying to find a way to make it somewhat profitable.

  9. #9
    Elite Member blueriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,316
    Location
    S.E.Oklahoma
    Tractor
    JD 5520 Montana 4340 Farmall Super C

    Default Re: Does fertilize pay off?

    Quote Originally Posted by strum456 View Post
    What kind of grass are we looking at? Have you ever tried to do a cost analysis factoring the cost of fertilizer and the increased productivity compared to what your productivity would be without fertilizer and the extra cost?

    Another question for you. How do you determine when to replant versus just fertilize? I'll be glad to help you with painting if you can help me with haying. We have been farming for generations. I am just trying to find a way to make it somewhat profitable.
    That is winter rye grass ... I seed it every fall for this purpose. Around Sept. 15th ... I get about 45-60 days of grazing then I pull the stock out and let it come on for baling. My fertilize program goes by the soil test with the current and the future grass ... by that I mean I want that early cutting of rye grass for cash flow and get it off in time to get the sunlight to the bermuda ... then I hit it again with fertilize for the bermuda. A cost analysis is a difficult thing to factor (I think) so many variables, current ground moisture, actual future rain, type of grass, cost of fertilize... production this year will be better than last year.

    Following a soil test on an annual bases you will see results ... for example it will take more fertilize the first few years as you build a base as it will in the later years

    I do know this I'm liking waht I see and I'll really like it when its all baled up!!
    "When selling a lifetime ... don't sell it short"
    auctioneer@southernauctionco.com

  10. #10
    Elite Member blueriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    4,316
    Location
    S.E.Oklahoma
    Tractor
    JD 5520 Montana 4340 Farmall Super C

    Default Re: Does fertilize pay off?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Zinj View Post
    Assuming it's fertilizer, it sure looks like it does!

    Of course that low spot could be a vernal pool, or underlying ledge, or maybe too much roundup last year, or a number of other factors.
    Here's some more pictures I just took ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -101_7722-jpg   -101_7723-jpg   -101_7726-jpg  
    "When selling a lifetime ... don't sell it short"
    auctioneer@southernauctionco.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Experienced operators pay?
    By ralanb in forum Land Clearing Equipment
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-10-2010, 08:20 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-01-2008, 12:44 PM
  3. Manure tea to fertilize lawn??
    By danbuf in forum Projects
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-20-2006, 08:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2013 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.